HDTV Moon photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV Moon photos

Taken by JAXA's (Japan's NASA) SELENE lunar orbiter.

Link....

Click on the pics to enlarge them.

Sample taken over the North lunar pole

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Now...could somebody, at the end of the mission for example, lower the orbiter enough to make photos of Apollo landers?
    Last edited by Nowhere; 7 November 2007, 15:57.

Comment

Wow nice shots, you can see how many craters there are. It looks like the moon takes a constant beating from meteors and debres.

Comment

It doesn't take more hits than Earth (actually somehow less...), it's just that there's no erosion there, so some of the craters you see might be few billion years old.

Comment

And there's no atmosphere to fragment larger chunks or burn up smaller ones.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
            Now...could somebody, at the end of the mission for example, lower the orbiter enough to make photos of Apollo landers?
            I don't think they could focus closely enough to see a 38-year old film set somewhere in the USA
            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
              Apollo 17's lander from command module in lunar orbit

Apollo 17 lander - ground level

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 November 2007, 07:47.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There was one of those 'did we really go to the moon' crapumentarys on a few weeks ago. One peice of evidence was a photo such as the one above with the lander and a couple of astronauts in it. One of those cross-hairs in the phto above went BEHIND the astronauts head.

I could explain most of the accusations but not that one.
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  There was one of those 'did we really go to the moon' crapumentarys on a few weeks ago. One piece of evidence was a photo such as the one above with the lander and a couple of astronauts in it. One of those cross-hairs in the photo above went BEHIND the astronauts head.

I could explain most of the accusations but not that one.
                  Was that the one "hosted" by Mitch Pileggi (or however his name is spelt, you know, the guy from X-Files)?

I saw one that he was on a couple of years ago and the photo like you describe was the only bit i couldn't explain as well
                  Last edited by Delany; 8 November 2007, 08:59. Reason: corrected the spelling of x-files guy's name
                  ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Film emulsion bleed-over due to unrestricted sunlight reflecting off their white helmets overexposed that portion of the Reseau grid (crosshairs), essentially erasing them and creating the illusion that they were 'behind' their helmets. It's a common problem when photographing small foreground details with a bright background. I've seen portions of chain link fences evaporate from the same effect.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 November 2007, 10:30.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

According tu Wiki it's due to overexposure ("Overexposure causes white objects to bleed into the black areas on the film.")

I believe I've read longer debunking of this myth in one of the pages linked by the Wiki article.

edit: a bit more detailed wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examina...lo_moon_photos

Comment

Working...
                      X