• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy tests rail gun

Navy Tests Incredible Sci-Fi Weapon

By LiveScience Staff
    posted: 01 February 2008 12:25 pm ET

The U.S. Navy yesterday test fired an incredibly powerful new big gun designed to replace conventional weaponry aboard ships. Sci-fi fans will recognize its awesome power and futuristic technology.

The big gun uses electromagnetic energy instead of explosive chemical propellants to fire a projectile farther and faster. The railgun, as it is called, will ultimately fire a projectile more than 230 miles (370 kilometers) with a muzzle velocity seven times the speed of sound (Mach 7) and a velocity of Mach 5 at impact.

The test-firing, captured on video, took place Jan. 31 in Dahlgren, Va., and Navy officials called it the "world's most powerful electromagnetic railgun."

The Navy's current MK 45 five-inch gun, by contrast, has a range of less than 23 miles (37 kilometers).

The railgun has been a featured weapon in many science fiction universes, such as the new "Battlestar Galactic" series. It has also achieved newfound popularity among the 20-something-and-under generation for its devastating ability to instantaneously shoot a "slug" through walls and through multiple enemies in video games such as the "Quake" series of first person shooters.

The Navy's motivation? Simple destruction.

The railgun's high-velocity projectile will destroy targets with sheer kinetic energy rather than with conventional explosives.

"I never ever want to see a Sailor or Marine in a fair fight. I always want them to have the advantage," said Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Gary Roughead. "We should never lose sight of always looking for the next big thing, always looking to make our capability better, more effective than what anyone else can put on the battlefield."

The railgun's lack of explosives means ships would be safer, said Elizabeth D'Andrea, Electromagnetic Railgun Program Manager.

The Navy's goal is to demonstrate a full-capability prototype by 2018.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Pretty long time for that full-capability prototype.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
      Pretty long time for that full-capability prototype.
      The navy and the US armed services have been trying to design rail gun tech FOREVER. The concept is simple enough but execution is not. I don't know if it's the sci-fi nature of the idea or not but it's been one of the holy grail weapons for awhile now. Taking till 2018 to work out the kinks... yeah that doesn't surprise me.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Why is there flame surrounding it like it was shot out of a cannon? Is not the point of the rail gun to have no fire & brimstone as current conventional weapons? Maybe I'm missing something.
        Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
        MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
        Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
        Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121 View Post
          Why is there flame surrounding it like it was shot out of a cannon? Is not the point of the rail gun to have no fire & brimstone as current conventional weapons? Maybe I'm missing something.
          I think the picture is the receiving end of the test firing.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121 View Post

For the same reason there are flames around the space shuttle when it re-enters the atmosphere. Very high velocities cause massive amounts of friction and pressure, which causes the atmosphere around it to combust (rapid oxidation at it's finest). Smaller rounds at lower speeds would not cause the huge flame trail, but a 3.5 kg round fired from a 8-megajoule railgun certainly would.

Some videos of the test shot, and another, are here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Jammrock; 5 February 2008, 13:30.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The above railgun was 32 megajoules.

FutureWeapons story on its 8 megajoule little brother here with better test shot footage.

The Zumwalt Class all-electric low-observable (stealth) destroyers are said to be getting a 64 megajoule unit.

Wicked....
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 February 2008, 13:40.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I was wrong, It's the barrel end of the test.
                Here is some vid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=i1q_rRicAwI
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'd imagine no small part of it was the sabot being vaporized.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I wonder if the EMF generated is strong enough to cause problems in the surrounding area.
                    Is it strong enough to cause combustion of the surrounding air (OK, maybe this is a bit far fetched) ?

Comment

Originally posted by NetSnake View Post
                      I wonder if the EMF generated is strong enough to cause problems in the surrounding area.
                      Is it strong enough to cause combustion of the surrounding air (OK, maybe this is a bit far fetched) ?

The EMF is probably localized enogh that you would have to be standing near it to be effected. If the EMF was not concentrated I would think the projectile would not fire as fast.

EMP blasts generally cover wide areas. Though if someone were to invent a localized EMP blaster they would get all sorts of military contract money. Blasting your enemy's communication system into the stone age, and disabling their missile and tracking systems would be every general's wet dream in modern warfare.

Comment

The combustion should be from the superheating of the air by the shock wave. Can't tell for sure from the picture but that looks a bit like the shock wave in front of the shell. Maybe the combustion is the oxidation of the Nitrogen in the air ?
                        Last edited by degrub; 5 February 2008, 17:39.

Comment

The main problem that they're dealing with, and the reason they're looking at another decade, is that much of the gun *melts* after firing. Even this system looks like it's trying to work by reducing the replacement of the rails and other parts between firings (I've heard 1/2 hour between shots).
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, that and a leak of seawater into the capacitor room - major disassociation of water and then BOOM !

Comment

On the bright side, the capacitor room should shrink greatly once super caps at high current/voltage is perfected. Heat though will be another issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X