Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volt battery update

From GM-Volt.com

GM hosted a press conference on their battery strategy and GMs director of EVs and HEVs Bob Kruse wrote a blog post about it.

As we know, the Volt lithium-ion cell contract went to LG Chem of Korea. Mainly the decision to choose them over A123 was based on the fact that LG was ready with cells sooner, and had a much larger production capacity and longer track record. According to Denise Gray, GM’s advanced battery director, the lithium-manganese chemistry of LG chem was “not significantly different” in energy density or power density characteristics than the lithium iron phosphate chemistry of A123 cells. In fact, A123 cells and packs continue to undergo testing.

GMs main point of the conference was reiterate that they are doing the pack design, engineering, and software controls in-house. So while LG or someone else may make an excellent cell, GM intends to make the best pack and become the worlds best electric car battery make maker. This gives them competitive advantage over car companies that are “married” to a specific cell supplier. Gray is convinced batteries will continue to advance in the future and right now GM is testing cells from “more than a dozen suppliers.”

Kruse confirms GM will soon open a large advanced battery lab within their Warren Technical Center in addition to the Volt’s battery assembly plant. That plant he notes “will be the first lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant operated by a major automaker in the U.S., and will create new “green” jobs.”

He advises us that GM is already working and second and third generation designs for these battery packs, and current ones have already evolved considerably from the first prototype packs GM received a year and a half ago.

Future generation Volt packs will continue to deliver the goal 40 miles of all electric range but will be considerably less expensive. Costs will be cut in several ways. Economy of scale will bring down production costs for the cells. GM and LG are also studying ways to tweak the chemistry perhaps removing expensive elements within the chemical mixture. The packs will also become more refined. ” Fewer parts leads to lower costs,” according to Andrew Farah, the Volt’s lead engineer. In addition to fewer parts Gray notes the current first generation packs have “a lot of bells and whistles” in terms of temperature and control management and suggests this safety overkill may not all needed.

The present crop of mules are performing flawlessly by the accounts of all involved and that the only surprises so far have been “pleasant ones” with respect to how perfectly they and their batteries have been performing.

It was also acknowledged and demonstrated that the Cruze-mules have already undergone considerable crash safety testing. The design of having the battery enclosed in the central tunnel has proven to be extremely safe. The graphic above illustrates what happens to the pack as filmed from below as the mule is crashed into a concrete barrier at 35 mph. Nothing. No breach has occurred.

We are at a turning point. As long as GM can hold on financially we will be seeing some beautiful things called integration vehicles in the coming months.
    Crash test images below

NOTE: in the auto world 35mph into a solid barrier is usually considered equivalent to 65+ mph into another vehicle.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 March 2009, 17:56.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Frontal crash is pretty idealised scenario though; it happens, rarely, but it happens, that for example a car is basically broken in two parts in the middle.
    From what I remember about the location of Volt battery pack, it would likely also be shredded to pieces in such a case...yeah, in such an accident people inside are probably dead anyway, but what about the surroundings?...

Just a thought - wouldn't placing it sideways, just in front of rear axle, be the safest place? Yeah, basically below rear couch; in a lot of cars fuel tank is also there.

Comment

You got it close.

It's shaped like a "T" with the crossbar (bulk of cell volume) aligned in front of the rear axle as you suggest and the 'vertical' in the cars hump - part cells (rear-most section at the back seat), part controls/cooling/heating etc.

A123/Continental battery left - Compact Power/LG Chem battery (winner) right
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 March 2009, 01:26.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

And precisely this "vertical" part will be, IMHO, very volnurable in serious crashes.

Comment

We'll see when they release the side impact tests, but in general to get severe damage in the tunnel you almost have to be broadsided by a train or 18 wheeler. Not very common and in such cases you're toast anyhow.

Yes, I've been on-scene at a severe train-car accident (looking for body parts as part of a necro-search team) - an AMTRAK passenger train hit a mid-sized car broadside, and the tunnel was pretty much intact. Parts of the people were scattered over the better part of an acre, but.....

Also: as we speak EMS units are getting training in the handling of EV/hybrid accidents because of the high voltages (up to 600 v) and chemistry involved. To help make things safer for them and the public newer EV/hybrid batteries are being set up with accelerometers that detect a major crash and disconnect the cells individually.

Example: the cells in auto LiION's are very tightly controlled by the battery computer (a very powerful bit of hardware) in case of temperature excursions or damage. In one A123 test (before the GM Volt) modules made of their cells were penetrated by large metal spikes: no fire etc. occurred and undamaged cells kept working, though they could be programmed to shut down just as easily.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 March 2009, 02:35.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That, or a car that's out of control hitting at high speed some narrow, strong, vertical obstruction, like a bridge pillar or a tree, in a wrong way; on photos (they're somewhat more publicised) of aftermatch of such accidents that I've seen it's quite common that the car was cut in two, roughly where "vertical" part of battery would be...

Of course the passengers are toast, but since such accidents can occur in areas with a lot of people...

Comment

That's what HAZMAT teams are for, and it's not unusual for them to be called on for conventional car/truck accidents too. All of the local fire departments in our area have one, even small cities, and they cooperate with neighboring departments to increase response.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 March 2009, 03:03.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X