CFL and LED already obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL and LED already obsolete?

(PhysOrg.com) -- While compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) are currently the primary alternative to incandescent light bulbs, a company from Seattle predicts that its own novel light bulbs will eventually replace CFLs and LEDs. Vu1 ("view one") Corporation has been working on its electron stimulated luminescence (ESL) bulbs, and has recently released a demo video (below).

The video is a promo by the company, but it gives some good info on ESL (electron stimulated luminescence) technology. Basically it's a modified TV tube. There is a high efficiency converter that sprays electrons (converted from house electricity) and in a "single step" fires them at a special phosphorous coating on the glass that produces a broad light spectrum (near white I would guess).

Let there be light.

They claim no heavy metals or toxic materials (like mercury in CFLs), no color change or dimming over time (a reported problem with LEDs), instant on and fully dimmable. Basically incandescent light at 65% less power. Release date is supposed to start next year and their first target market is recessed cans (flood lights).

If this works like they say I will be very impressed. I can never fully convert to CFL's because I have dimmer switches and I don't like CFL light by itself so I use 2 CFL and 2 incandescent bulbs in my office. This could solve all the problems. I hope.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I looked at the video and there were so many lies and half-truths that these ESL guys have lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. They doth protest too much, methinks.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It's an investor video. I want to see the product itself. That's all that matters.

They're right about the CFLs up to a point. I use them where I can and the light color temp I'm using is not offensive. But I cannot use CFLs in my garage because it gets too cold out there in the winter for them to operate properly if at all. And the mercury used in their manufacture IS a problem, whether it actually poses a health concern or not. You should have heard my sister-in-law get frantic when she broke a CFL. She called me in a panic wanting to know who she should call and how much it would cost. I told her to sweep it up and throw it in the trash.

It's all about perception. CFLs have a serious image problem.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        I looked at the video and there were so many lies and half-truths that these ESL guys have lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. They doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm on a wait and see basis too. If it works as well as they claim it could be a great product once prices go down. Though I don't follow bulb technology enough to care about lies and half truths...only what the end product is like.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X