Learning in PVS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning in PVS

This should increase the conversation more than a little over how fast we pull the plug on some people....

Brain-damaged patients who appear to have lost signs of conscious awareness might still be able to create new memories, showing signs of new neural networks and potential for partial recovery

>
    In patients who have survived severe brain damage, judging the level of actual awareness has proved a difficult process. And the prognosis can sometimes mean the difference between life and death.

New research suggests that some vegetative patients are capable of simple learning—a sign of consciousness in many who had failed other traditional cognitive tests. The findings are presented in a paper today in Nature Neuroscience (Scientific American is part of the Nature Publishing Group).
    >
    What was more, current designation of either vegetative or minimally conscious did not determine how well patients learned. Some of those who were minimally conscious didn't learn as well as some who were classified as vegetative and vice versa. "I think there's some consensus that there is a [need for] revision in the way these patients are classified," Sigman says.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 September 2009, 17:57.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Not saying what my opinion is either way (my opinion is usually that there needs to be more research done before I make my opinion ) but one could argue that awareness in a vegetative state is a good reason to pull the plug even sooner.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I have made a living will and have given solid instructions that if am in a vegetative state and there is a risk of being physically or mentally impaired should I rise out of coma, that I require them to pull the plug without delay. I allow an exception of 24 h maximum keeping me on life support should they wish to harvest any organs. This is all part of my DNR instructions.

If anyone wishes, I can post the actual language.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        I have made a living will and have given solid instructions that if am in a vegetative state and there is a risk of being physically or mentally impaired should I rise out of coma, that I require them to pull the plug without delay. I allow an exception of 24 h maximum keeping me on life support should they wish to harvest any organs. This is all part of my DNR instructions.

I think we all need similar documents.
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

agreed, I can not think of a lower level of hell, then being stuck inside my own head, being unable to communicate for X amount of years until I passed.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

It will not be long before I'll make one too and that one will include the wish to get bullet to the head in case of Alzheimers and/or vascular dementia at some stage.

Not so much for the hell I'd be going through but the hell they'd be going through.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Thinking about it a little more, I'd add one more exception: keep me alive for as long as you need till you make sure my life insurance pays my family everything to the last cent.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
              X