Ares I-X oopsie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares I-X oopsie

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

see still below....

So, amid all the rah-rah on TV news about how well the Ares I-X launch went.....

Thought this was very odd during the launch. If successful is discovering problems then I guess this launch was, but this one's a biggie. It it takes even more hardware to get this thing flying right what does that do to the already big problem of Orion's mass? It's heavy, much heavier than Dragon, and so heavy that Ares I (real) could barely get it to LEO as things are now.

On the other hand it may well be moot: rumors are that Ares I will be canceled within a few weeks due to info in the Augustine Commission report. One problem after another and after multi-billions spent all NASA could muster is launching a 1:1 model of Ares I with virtually none of the systems to be used on the real rocket...not even the first stage engine. This while SpaceX is launching a fully configured Falcon 9 and a Dragon spacecraft around the first of the year. A real Ares I would not fly until 2013 at the earliest.

Funny thing: NASA and SpaceX started about the same time and SpaceX spent a tiny fraction of the $$.

Huntsville Times....

"One area of concern comes from the separation of the first-stage solid rocket booster and the upper stage mockup, Davis said. "We are looking into that. It appeared the upper stage could have come back and made contact with the first-stage booster," he said. "That's what testing a design is all about, though. We've had some concerns, and now we've got hard information coming back so we can improve on Ares."
    http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...-x-stagin.html

Keith's note: In this NASA CGI videoof a computer simulation of the Ares 1-X, the first stage is shown slowly tumbling at staging and the second stage is shown flying on straight after staging only to start tumbling later. But the actual flight shows the first stage in steady flight and the second stage flying almost backward.
    >
    Hmm, had there been a crew in a real capsule on a real second stage this might have been a slight problem. Yes, there was no second stage motor. But what if there was a real motor and it failed to start? One would think, at a minimum, that you'd like to have a design that defaults to a safe stage separation regardless of whether second stage ignition occurs such that a crew abort could be initiated. Its these high altitude abort scenarios that NASA managers often wave around to disqualify EELVs for use with human crews.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 October 2009, 09:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

To my untrained eye it looks like they had a separation failure.
    Like a bolt(s) didn't fire on one side of the package.

That would explain the tumble:
    When the booster's retros fired it pulled back on one side of the payload.
    Last edited by cjolley; 29 October 2009, 10:11.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'd like to know what the test payload mass was. I'm assuming a hollow aeroshell with a little ballast? Nothing near a working load?

To me it looks like the SRB thrust may have gone a bit asymmetrical as it neared burnout. That, and the reverse thrusters on the SRB delivered insufficient braking thrust to cleanly seperate from the aeroshell. After the braking thrusters flamed out the remaining pressure within the SRB may have been enough to give it a little push into the unpowered payload shell.

Then again, if I was a rocket scientist, I sure wouldn't be doing THIS for a living...

Kevin

Comment

The bolts fired.

The mass and its distribution was set up to be as close to the real article as possible in all segments, including those of the faux Orion and escape tower. No excuses there.

Some speculation revolves around a questionable mold line on the aeroshells or an unexpected extra push from the first stage causing a re-contact after separation.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

UPDATE: Below are pics taken by the divers recovering the SRB. Not good at all unless one of the parachutes failed and it hit at an odd angle, but even then I don't remember this ever happening with shuttle flights. Otherwise it looks like the stages collided. Even a parachute failure isn't good as getting them working properly was one of the main mission goals.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 October 2009, 16:17.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The complete NASA video here.

The Youtube and Space.com videos cut just after separation.

The damage must have occurred immediately at separation as the two sections do not appear to come into contact with each other afterwards.

Wish we could tell from the pix just where on the SRB the damage is.

Kevin

Comment

At least it worked all the way up to mach 4 speeds and way over 10 miles altitude.

Probably a minor ignition bug

Comment

2nd stage was a dummy so no ignition there. Speculation is all over the map, but more than a few folks think this is more evidence that using the solid was a bad idea.

The only real reason for using it was that it would be shuttle derived, speed and lessen the cost of developing the Ares V heavy lifter, which in theory would have much in common with the shuttle and Ares I.

That's been moot since they decided against using shuttle engines for the Ares I second stage and the Ares V first stage, needed to extend the SRB's to 5 segments and otherwise destroy commonality. Now Ares V is also on the block.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

with regard to the pictures taken under water: I always forget how large these things are.

mfg
                  wulfman
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Yeah, without the guys there that could be a brush stroke with a standard wide paintbrush...

edit : the black lines
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Just imagine if there had been a 2nd stage misfire with a crew on board and this had happened.

Lots of very brown spacesuits, at least on the inside
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Lots of pretty pictures....

This one really shows how big those SRB's are - some guy inspecting the fuel grain in one of the segments....and yes all that black stuff is the solid fuel. The pinkish stuff is more grain, but set up to ignite quickly. Think in terms of the head of a match.

Fuel is Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant: ammonium perchlorate (oxidizer 69.6% by weight), powdered aluminum (fuel 16%), iron oxide (catalyst 0.4%), a polymer (such as HTPB - synthetic rubber - or PBAN, which is less toxic when curing), serving as a binder and acting as secondary fuel 12.04%) and an epoxy curing agent (1.96%)

Definitely a no-smoking zone

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 October 2009, 20:28.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X