Highly enriched uranium - weapons grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highly enriched uranium - weapons grade

Besides weapons. Is this type of material good for fuel for a nuclear reactor?

Indeed it is. In fact, many of the US reactors are running today on Russian weapons-grade uranium, "diluted" with spent uranium and the relatively non-active uranium left after enrichment. Why Russian? Because most of the US surplus weapons are plutonium based and this requires a more complex treatment, mostly in France, to turn it into recyclable MOX fuel, used more in Europe and Japan, thanks to Carter's refusal to allow re-treatment in the USA. OTOH, Russia's arsenal is much more uranium-based.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The spontaneus thought that crossed my mind when i saw the thread title:

"are you selling?"
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I had a similar thought to Tehnoid: Are you looking for excuses for owning/producing...?
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

No

It's just whoever ends up processing the nuclear waste / storing the HEU.

Could use it to keep their lights/central heating on.

Chart showing stocks on page 2.

Comment

Working...
          X