• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-51A test today

YouTube video on X51a WaveRider.....

Link....

Air Force's Hypersonic X-51 WaveRider Ready For First Test Flight

The military’s new wingless plane is set to make its first hypersonic test flight Tuesday, after it is released from a B-52 bomber off the California coast.

The X-51A WaveRider, which sort of resembles a shark, will fly for about five minutes, powered by a scramjet engine. It should reach about Mach 6 and transmit data to ground stations before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean, according to the Air Force Research Laboratory.

The longest previous hypersonic scramjet flight test, performed by a NASA X-43 in 2004, was faster, but lasted only about 10 seconds and used hydrogen fuel. The X-51 uses JP-7 jet fuel, the same juice that powered the SR-71 Blackbird.

The WaveRider is basically wingless — it has some little fins on its side — so it is designed to ride its own shockwave, hence the name. The flight will test the SJ61 scramjet engine, built by Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, as well as the craft's thermal protection systems, airframe and engine integration.

Tuesday’s flight will be the third time a WaveRider has been aloft, but in the past it had remained attached to a B-52. This time, the bomber will drop the craft and a solid rocket booster will accelerate it to about Mach 4.5. Then the scramjet engine, which uses the same fuel as the SR-71 Blackbird, will push the X-51A to Mach 6 as it climbs to about 70,000 feet. Scramjets can burn atmospheric oxygen, so they don’t need to carry huge, heavy fuel tanks.

The X-51A program could pave the way to hypersonic weapons and future access to space, the Air Force says.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 May 2010, 02:24.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

so they still make the fuel, wonder if they got a flight worthy blackbird somwhere for "emergencies"
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

There are still 2 Blackbirds, and a few D-21 drones, "flying research missions" for NASA's Dryden Research Center. All the rest are in museums since ~1998. Now most of its missions can be handled by satellites and the RQ-4B Global Hawk, a much enhanced and larger version of the original Global Hawk. Cross the Pacific without refueling, it can - and has.

The really sneaky stuff may well be handled by whatever comes from the X-37B development and the work DoD want's SpaceX to do with their DragonLab spacecraft.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 May 2010, 12:15.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

LA Times.....

An aircraft resembling a large bodyboard detached from a flying B-52 bomber and then shot across the Pacific on Wednesday at more than 3,500 mph, shattering aviation records and reigniting decades-long efforts to develop a vehicle that could travel faster than a speeding bullet.

The unmanned X-51 WaveRider, powered by an air-breathing hypersonic engine that has virtually no moving parts, was launched midair off the coast near Point Mugu. It sped westward for 200 seconds before plunging into the ocean as planned. Previous attempts at hypersonic flights lasted no more than 10 seconds.

"Everything went very well for a first flight," said Charlie Brink, the X-51 program manager for the Air Force. "For things to go off the way they did, we're confident this technology has a bright future."

Since the 1960s, the Air Force has been flirting with hypersonic technology, which can propel vehicles at a velocity that cannot be achieved from traditional turbine-powered jet engines.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

YouTube video of the test....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X