Lindbergh Electric Aircraft Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindbergh Electric Aircraft Prize

The first Lindbergh Electric Aircraft Prize, for the best electric aircraft, best electric aircraft subsystems and components, will take place at the EAA AirVenture @ Oshkosh, WI later this month.

Should be interesting to see if Bertrand Piccard's Solar Impulse, the plane that recently flew 26 hours and 9 minutes purely on solar power, wins it.

As fast as this field is moving, example one being the warp-9 advances in thin-film solar cells, things look to get real interesting real fast.

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

IMO, Piccard's team should sweep the board for all categories, if it is entered. When he builds the full scale version (SolarImpulse is only a small model), you should have a stratospheric plane capable of flying indefinitely, above the weather. An unmanned version would have enormous miltary implications for observation, almost invisible to radar. Also for Google Maps!!! Could follow the anticyclones day in and day out for clear views!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

AKA a 'stratellite' - what you mentioned plus regional communications/TV/internet, crop evaluations etc.

Several groups are also developing airships for these uses, which ups the payload considerably.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X