Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweat/urine = rocket fuel

Actually; sweat, urine and wastewater

Bigelow Aerospace's inflatable modules will use a new take on recycling - turning the crews sweat, urine and waste-water into fuel for the modules Forward Propulsion System using power from its solar panels. Also an advantage is that this allows their stations to perform attitude control maneuvers without having the usual toxic propellants on board.

The hydrogen/oxygen thrusters were developed by Orion Propulsion, which is now owned by major defense contractor Dynetics, Inc.

http://www.dynetics.com/descriptionpage.php?id=AerospaceSundancer&from=spa ce

Basic diagram
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 August 2010, 21:57.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

"FOR SAFETY, THE OXYGEN AND HYDROGEN ARE STORED IN DIFFERENT TANKS"

No shit, Sherlock, ROFLMAO.

Hope they can catch and the resulting water resulting to drink.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

To be fair that diagram was created by Popular Mechanics, not Bigelow Aerospace.

BTW: water for drinking comes from replenishable water sacs in the walls that double as radiation shielding. A single cargo Dragon could bring up 3 Mt of it in the pressurized interior and another 3Mt of other supplies in the unpressurized cargo hold.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 August 2010, 00:47.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X