DVD writers: Panasonic RAM vs Sony +/- R/RW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD writers: Panasonic RAM vs Sony +/- R/RW

Well, I was considering the subject of DVD writers and had settled on the all singing, all dancing Sony DRU500A (now 510A) because it would read and write just about anything out there.

But...

On reading these forums, I was struck by Dr. Mordrid's comment about being more than happy with his Panasonic DVD-RAM drive - that left me wondering again...

Now one advantage of the DVD-RAM is that it's well protected and is good for holding data - I don't think the same can be said for either +RW or -RW.

I think that I can see the use for RW media - presumably for blowing off a home-made DVD and seeing if it works, before committing it to DVD R media.

Is there really much compatibility difference between -R and +R?

If you look at the Sony's specs it will read just about anything... "DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-DA, Video CD, Photo CD (multi-session), CD TEXT, CD Extra, and others." to quote.

I'm not actually sure whether I intend to read any of these formats - but how does the Panasonic compare with this. Should I care that much?

Now I know some folk who love the 'plus camp' and are bound to get a Sony drive and give me something on a +R or +RW disk just to be awkward... but will the Panasonic read it? I guess it should read the +R disk, but I'm not so sure about the +RW disk.

So, food for thought, to RAM or not to RAM - that is the question.

Oh, and by the way, I'm primarily interested in creating home DVDs, putting photos albums onto DVDs, backing up odd folders from my hard disk and also copying my DVDs so that the kids can't destroy any more of them (aaaarrrrgggghhhh!).

Any comments, recommendations most welcome.

Taliska
    Last edited by Taliska; 22 May 2003, 14:21.
    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gbyte DDR400 RAM
    Matrox P750, Matrox RT.X10
    2x Maxtor 120G & 1x 300G SATA drives, Panasonic DVD-RAM drive
    Windows XP Pro, Premiere Pro 7.0

You know my answer, but it holds double if you ever plan on getting a DVD-RAM capable DVD-VR deck.

Of course its defect management and error correction methodologies give it huge advantages when storing data vs. DVD-RW or DVD+RW. Doing backups on 'em is very nice with only the need for 2-3 disks on most of my systems.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 May 2003, 14:56.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The DVD-RAM is worth it for the drop dead simplicity of backups. You can't beat drag and drop.

For my backup I Ghost the C: drive and then just copy all the other drives (Business/Games/Graphics/data files) onto a DVD-RAM disk(s) and if I ever have to restore I just run the ghost backup to get the system going, and then just drag and drop the other drives back from their respective DVD-RAM discs.

The only way it could be easier is if you had someone else place the disc caddies into the computer for you.
      Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

DVD-RAM

Not just "drag and drop" but as I understand it you can delete individual files like on a floppy...cant do that with DVD-RW.

Ted
        Premiere PRO XP Pro
        Asus P4s533
        P4-2.8
        Matrox G450
        RT.x100
        45 GIG System Drive
        120 Export Drive
        Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
        17" P4-3 HT
        1024 RAM
        32 MEG GForce
        60 GIG 7200RPM HD
        80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
        DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Taliska,
          don't know a thing about dvd-ram but i have a sony dru-500ax so dvd+rw is much better than dvd-rw.
          Dvd-rw can not be used with direct-cd for drag & drop files and you cannot delete individual files (you write it and then you have to erase all of it).
          Dvd+rw you can use it with direct-cd to drag & drop files, delete individual file(s) and it does not require to format it like the cd-rws(formats while it writes) .
          Dvd-r and dvd+r are more or less the same. I have 2 standalone dvd palyers a picky sony dvp-s725d and a cheapo yukai, both formats +/-R play fine on both of them.

However, just a thought about sony:
          My first dvd recorder was a dru-500a which died 2 weeks after purchase, replaced by a dru-500ax which lasted 1 and a half month and now i'm waiting for a replacement. Well, while they were working they were quite good. If you finally go for a dual writer then you may wait a little for the nec nd-1300 or the pioneer dvr-a06.
          mits,
          System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
          model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

Originally posted by IM_Riktar
            The DVD-RAM is worth it for the drop dead simplicity of backups. You can't beat drag and drop.

The only way it could be easier is if you had someone else place the disc caddies into the computer for you.
            You don't even need caddied DVD-RAM with my Panasonic SW-9571-CYY. It can use caddie-less DVD-RAM disks, which you can get from either Verbatim or Panasonic.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Mits....my DVD-RW allows drag and drop, but no deleting individual files. I didn't know DVD+RW allowed for deleting individual files...cool...will keep that in mind when getting another drive.

thanks,

Ted
              Premiere PRO XP Pro
              Asus P4s533
              P4-2.8
              Matrox G450
              RT.x100
              45 GIG System Drive
              120 Export Drive
              Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
              17" P4-3 HT
              1024 RAM
              32 MEG GForce
              60 GIG 7200RPM HD
              DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Hi Ted,
                Yes individual files can be deleted as well as added. What happens is after you load the drivers (Windows only, no DOS, NUTS!) you have the option of formating the DVD-RAM discs in FAT32 which turns them into removeable harddrives.

It's a real pity the DVD-RAM can't be used to 'Ghost" the C drive but without DOS drivers you are stuck with DVD-R. At least on my drive thats the way it is.

But as long as you use Ghost 2003 to do the image backup you can simply restore the Ghosted C drive by popping it in the DVD drive since the disc you burn is self booting and contains the neccesary program files to start the process. After that you can just start loading your other drives back in. As long as you had the DVD-RAM drivers on your C drive.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Riktar,
                  Have you tried this with DVD+RW...like Mits said...deleting individual files?

Ted
                  Premiere PRO XP Pro
                  Asus P4s533
                  P4-2.8
                  Matrox G450
                  RT.x100
                  45 GIG System Drive
                  120 Export Drive
                  Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                  17" P4-3 HT
                  1024 RAM
                  32 MEG GForce
                  60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                  DVD RW/RAM

Comment

My drive is one of the early incarnations of DVD-RAM/ROM and doesn't support any RW format. While their are times I wish I had the RW format for testing burns I can live without it. I have pretty much figured out what works in most of the families desktop DVD players so that feature.

Comment

I also have the original DVD-R/DVD-RAM drive... the LF-D311.

But I went ahead and bought the FIREWIRE version of the SW-9571, DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM, and now I have everything I need.

I haven't tested the new Firewire drive, yet, as I have just now installed it.

But I plan to have some fun with it this weekend.

Jerry Jones
                      I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Not only "testing burns" .... but giving a final draft DVD to a client without using up a Blank DVD is pretty nice to do with RW format.

I am currently in the final stages of a 2-DVD set for a client, and we have both made several changes after viewing the DVD-RW disks. Saved me at least 8 blanks...maybe more.

Ted
                        Premiere PRO XP Pro
                        Asus P4s533
                        P4-2.8
                        Matrox G450
                        RT.x100
                        45 GIG System Drive
                        120 Export Drive
                        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                        17" P4-3 HT
                        1024 RAM
                        32 MEG GForce
                        60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                        DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Which is why I love my SW-9571; it can do -R, -RW and RAM, but unlike Jerry I went for ther iDE internal version. Might go IEEE-1394 next time though for portability. Depends on if Jerry runs into problems

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Why can I not post reply to this:

Why can I not post reply to "DVD writers: Panasonic RAM vs Sony +/- R/RW " at Desktop Video,

Ive got the error message:
                            * No thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster *

Note, I can post replies to any other threades, but not to this one.

Webmaster didn't answer to my e-mail, yet, so maybe someone can help?

Fred H
                            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

ya all know by now you should bug me with these things...
                              give me a min and I'll check
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X