Upgrading G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading G400

So I'm going for the upgrade while I can get a new card cheap. There's two Geforce 2 Pros, the ASUS AGP-V7700 and the Creative labs 3d blaster 2 pro.

Any ideas which is the best?

I wouldn't mind getting the one with the best 2d image (I know it will suck anyway...)

Anyone know of a good GeForce forum that I could ask at?

Cheers

Comment

Nope, don't know anything about either card, or any GeFart forums.

But I can recommend a Kyro2. They're cheap (around $100 OEM), and fast, and have better 2D than any GayFart card.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

i'm quite happy with the 2d on my asus 7700 geforce 2.

i use a 19in iiyama monitor at 1152x864 (or something very close) and the 2d seems pretty good.
        1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

No offense intended, Birdy, but you are in a small minority - especially around here.

OEM's for GeForce cards have FAQ's that say stuff like:

Q. Why is my display blurry.

A. nVidia chips have dodgy output.

Q. Why are there ghosts on my screen?

A. nVidia's chipset has poor output quality.

Funny shit, man.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

HaHa,

Is there ANY alright Geforce 2 Pro cards on the market?
            I only need it for games likes

I've got a 19" moniter as well...

The G400's going to the parents

Comment

GeForce 2's? The only ones with GOOD output are the really pricey ones or the Quadras.

GeForce 3's - many have reasonable output.

But seriously, why not just get a Kyro2? It's cheaper, better, faster...

- Gurm

Comment

What ones are they?

The ASUS?

Wouldn't the Geforce 2Pro oc to 450Mhz beat the KyroII in most tests?

Also is the Kyro still experienceing issues with some games due to bad drivers?

Cheers

Comment

The only games the Kyro2 has trouble with at this point are the ones whose coding breaks their tile-based or deferred rendering. There are a couple, but they are last year's versions.

It's up to the manufacturer of the game to fix those issues though, since they are using tricks they shouldn't use, based on the Direct3D spec.

As for which cards, I'm talking the Elsa or Gainward cards (Elsa I know is nice, dunno about others though - Gainward is a guess).

As for winning - a Kyro2 and a GeForce2 Pro/GTS are neck-in-neck.

- Gurm

Comment

ASUS cards are known for their bad 2d quality! In my opinion go for a Kyro 2 or a Radeon DDR (Don't by an ati if you are runing w2k)!
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Yeah, Radeons have held there price in the UK so they arn't that good FPS/Buck.

I'm just looking for a good gamming card till I replace my system next year with a Radeon 8500 or Matrox GXXX :-)

Comment

If the radeons are expencive over there go with the Kyro 2 you won't regret it!
                        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

KyroII all the way, DanF. Just look at the sig It was my natural upgrade to my G400 too.

Hey, Geforce2 aren´t bad cards either. But too many have 2d problems.

Then again it depends if money is not an object... People tend to say that KyroII is not worthwhile because you can get Geforce2 Pro at the same price. That´s false. For a Hercules 4500 retail price you can get a Geforce2 "pro" (that actually run at GTS speeds or half-way between GTS and pro) 32 Mb from a no-name brand who probably will have el-cheapo video filters good enough for 1024x768 if you´re lucky...

Brand name Geforce2 64 Mb still are much more expensive than KyroII. And then again that depends where you live.

I got a Hercules 4500 some months ago and I´m really happy with it. Driver support has been fine, they listen carefully to feedback in PowerVR fori. Each driver release has fixed some problem (somtimes intoducing another ) and gives a small performance boost. Latest DX8 drivers were a bit "detonator 4" like, big performance boost, mostly in OpenGL.

The impending doom every new "T&L" game promises to deliver on the KyroII was false every time. Max Payne runs blazing fast on the KyroII (did you see Ace´s hardware benches?). Black&White runs superb too. Aquanox leaked demo runs wonderfully at 1024x768x32, 32Mb of textures. Wolfenstein compatibility test, after a 15sec tweaking benches 132 fps at 1024x768x32 everything maxed, 6 fps less that a GF2 Ultra on a Athlon@1320 Mhz.

As a matter of fact mostly every game out there run just fine out of the box. Games that tend to be more problematic are those mixing 2d sprites (instead of a texture on 2 triangles in 3d mode ) + 3d rendering mode. That involves locking the framebuffer and a performance hit on any card, but that´s a major KyroII weakness. Grand Prix 3 is the major representant - it really performs bad on the KyroII and there´s nothing you can do about it. CollinMcRae2 also does it (but you can fix it in the registry, loosing the lens-flare effect). But pay attention that´s mostly poor coding from louzy programmers and you don´t see that often.

Comment

hey Nuno, what sort of tweaks are you talking about to achieve those huge framerates in the Wolfenstien test? Did it get really ugly and low res? Or just something simple?
                            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Yeah, do tell.

I am getting good framerates, but not lightspeed...

And...

I get ugly flickering corrupt polys when zooming in with the sniper scope.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X