No announcement yet.

Windows 98SE vs. WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. Have to agree. the BX chipset was fantastic. Crank it up to 100@4.5. I have one that has been running that at stock voltage for years! I have tried the P2 Vs. Celery A. And I honestly cannot tell a difference in XP or 2K.

"I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

hi
      if you stick with win98 do the sys driver updates..........
      don't rember the seven files,but go through the device drivers in the control pannel, system devices, there are driver names in brackets behind the driver for the device . these should be in cab 46 or 47???? copy to both system and system32 folders they will be automaticaly picked up................i think that's a first for m$

luck
      cal
      another dawg basking in the sun

iwill xp333-r, xp2500@ 340ddr :need better ram

Comment

Originally posted by funky-d-munky
        GT-98

Bx chipset and crappy should not be said together :>
        Then I'll have to say it loud enough::

BX can be crappy!
        BX can be crappy!
        BX can be crappy!
        BX can be crappy!
        BX can be crappy!
        BX can be crappy!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          Then I'll have to say it loud enough::

BX can be crappy!
          BX can be crappy!
          BX can be crappy!
          BX can be crappy!
          BX can be crappy!
          BX can be crappy!

Mister, Thems fightin words!

(Asus P2-B, P3-B RULE! )
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Packard Bell
            Gateway,
            Compaq,
            Siemens and
            INTEL Mobos with BX chipset stunk untill several bios revisions

Ex: Bios bug made it impossible to install W98 without disabling the floppy
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Ewww. Packard Bell? thats not a PC, that is a paper weight!

Comment

"Packard Bell
                Gateway,
                Compaq,
                Siemens and
                INTEL Mobos with BX chipset stunk untill several bios revisions"

Well if you buy any of those proprietary systems what do expect? And considering its been out for about 5 years I think the bios has gone through a few revisions.

Abit BH6(the mother of all o/c'ers) celeron 300a@450 for years and years.
                Abit BP6 2xceleron 366@550- years and years also.
                Neither is my main system, but I never have to worry about them ever, on like a four year O/C!

PS- Just for laughs once we benched my dual celeron 550 against a dual Xeon 550 w/1 meg cache(half speed mind you).
                The celeron smoked it on a linux kernel compile. Of course the xeon's kicked ass in the actuall server environment because of the huge cache. Was kind of funny back in the day- $300 vs. $6,000, and the small guy wins. He he.
                Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Originally posted by funky-d-munky
                  "Packard Bell
                  Gateway,
                  Compaq,
                  Siemens and
                  INTEL Mobos with BX chipset stunk untill several bios revisions"

Well if you buy any of those proprietary systems what do expect? And considering its been out for about 5 years I think the bios has gone through a few revisions.

Abit BH6(the mother of all o/c'ers) celeron 300a@450 for years and years.
                  Abit BP6 2xceleron 366@550- years and years also.
                  Neither is my main system, but I never have to worry about them ever, on like a four year O/C!

PS- Just for laughs once we benched my dual celeron 550 against a dual Xeon 550 w/1 meg cache(half speed mind you).
                  The celeron smoked it on a linux kernel compile. Of course the xeon's kicked ass in the actuall server environment because of the huge cache. Was kind of funny back in the day- $300 vs. $6,000, and the small guy wins. He he.
                  No I do not buy those kind of systems!!

I was just ilustrationg that any chipset has its good and BAD days (or motherboards)

I'm the guy that repairs said systems

BX based boards show up as much as other Intel chipset boards!

and Intel is equaly representted on Crappy boards as VIA, SIS ALI, ETC ETC!

Saying that as long as the mobo has BX chipset will make it "good" is to live in denial...

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                    Mister, Thems fightin words!

(Asus P2-B, P3-B RULE! )
                    Yeah my system has been running rock solid for 4+ years using the wonderful Asus P2-B
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I'm with Funky-d on this one (on the first page anyway!), with one caveat....

I used to build PC's for friends for years....

only install an operating system you understand/know a bit. You will end up maintaining it too.....

I would plump for XP, all the way. The P isnt the only thing that is out without 98 support..... Its easier to use and its not significantly harder on a reasonable PC (twin 466 celeron here on a BP6..... 256 Mb of Ram and it flies.....)

RedRed
                      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

hmmm....weird for me a pII 233 seemed a lot smoother than a celeron(300A) 450.

It was not faster in games etc...but just general windows work and MS devstudio 6 were definitely smoother. But for games the 300A@450 is defintely faster...

Comment

Tons of BX motherboards from Intel and built by Msi no trouble at all at our place.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I did not say "BX is crappy"

I did say "BX can be crappy"

I have also built tons of machines with MSI BX mobos without trubbel, but that goes for VIA as well

Comment

Suppose if PCchips built the board.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                                Suppose if PCchips built the board.
                                I think thats what this board is
                                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                                X