Pentium 4: More speed in the pipeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium 4: More speed in the pipeline

Intel will increase the speed of the chipset on the Pentium 4 in the coming months, a change that will likely boost the performance of top-end PCs.
    The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker is coming out with a new chipset, code-named Springdale, for Pentium 4 PCs. The chipset runs at 800MHz, substantially faster than the 400MHz and 533MHz chipsets currently available for Pentium 4 computers, according to sources close to the company.

The new chipset will be released with a 3.2GHz version of the Pentium 4, the sources said. Intel could not be reached for comment.
    .xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

All good for prices coming down on the other bits...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I've already decided to skip granite bay & just wait for springdale to appear!

Comment

And one you have enough to get a Springdale, something better will come out and you get to wait for that...

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

granite bay is already overdue probably due to the AGP errata.
          in addition some board manufacturers aren't going to produce it/them because of cost & the impending release of springdale.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            And one you have enough to get a Springdale, something better will come out and you get to wait for that...

Jammrock
            You could ALWAYS say that, but sometimes it's really just worth it to wait, since there will be a major update soon. For instance, I know that a month before the Athlon 64 is due out, someone will ask me what PC components to get. I'll tell them to wait a month for tha A64. But they'll argue that "I can wait forever, and something better will always be out". But rarely is the next thing out this significant...

Comment

Hummm, a 64bit AMD CPU and no Microsoft 64bit OS to run on it - I really don't think that the release of the Athlon 64 is going to be that important.
              Well yes, OK, it is a step forward towards 64bit computing but if I was going to spend all that money on this all singing all dancing CPU I'd at least want an OS that was going to make use of it.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Think again Paur;
                At this week's Comdex Fall trade show, AMD is showing Opteron and Athlon 64 systems running 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows and Linux, with 32-bit Microsoft Office XP running seamlessly on the former, as well as 64-bit versions of programs for both business (IBM's enterprise database DB2) and pleasure (Epic Games' Unreal Tournament 2003). Both Red Hat and Covalent Technologies have committed to delivering 64-bit Opteron versions of the popular Apache Web server.
                In other words: the "all singing all dancing CPU" has a dance partner (or two) after all

Also: this from CNET
                AMD, though, will counter with its Athlon 64, the first desktop chip based around the Hammer architecture, in late March or early April. Hammer chips will come with an integrated memory controller--the part of the chipset that creates the system bus--that will run at the same speed as the chip, making it faster than Intel.
                Hmmmm......

Anyone for a 2 or 3 ghz bus?

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 January 2003, 15:20.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                  You could ALWAYS say that, but sometimes it's really just worth it to wait, since there will be a major update soon. For instance, I know that a month before the Athlon 64 is due out, someone will ask me what PC components to get. I'll tell them to wait a month for tha A64. But they'll argue that "I can wait forever, and something better will always be out". But rarely is the next thing out this significant...
                  you can't afford it anyway. good price for the 533 parts though...you'll need to wait another 2-3 months before the 800 parts get affordable. at that point you can wait for the barton which will likely be very fast. then again the athlon64 is close too.

don't bother waiting for a thing you're not sure will come in the advertised time frame. get a good chip and upgrade when the faster part is available. what good is there if you're stuck with old technology and the new one never makes it on time? if you use your computer to work, all the time you save with it is money in the bank. waiting just slows you down, hence you loose money...

it's such a significant world we live in

Comment

Once I see an AMD Athlon 64 running 64bit Windows I'll believe it.
                    At the current time MS still have not officially announed 64bit Windows for that platform.
                    The only 64bit Windows available and announced is that for Itanium - which will not work with the Athlon.
                    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

good news:
                      A64 whas been shown running on 64bit windows, and the unreal 2003 is waiting in the wings for the chips release.
                      Will a64 run normal windows?, why not it is supposed to be backward compatible.

Linux (mandrake) is already avavliable for the A64.(I am happy, with that, so if no windows version is released it will force me to junk windows forever)
                      BUT MS will release 64bit for AMD, if you think it won't you are sadly deluded

Bad news:
                      ...UMC has fecked up, their .13 process is not up to scratch. AMD will not be using them to fab their chips so normal athlons will be produced at there own FAB's which will tie up production of the A64's.

so release of the A64 has been delayed again....

good news: AMD has teamed up with IBM to develops FAB's and technolgy down to 0.065 nm, so the Hammers will have a long life and made use qualtiy tech, I think this is Excellent news.

AMD is in the process of "seeding" some dual opteron(1.2's) systems, into the market, so it has begun...but slowly
                      Last edited by Marshmallowman; 13 January 2003, 20:11.

Comment

If i have the choice to build another machine w/enough budget now, for sure i will be going for K8s.

probably because i buy stuff for specs, not real world performance.

this habit of mine must be changed

damn can't wait for hammer..............

edit: does anybody know how much the lowest model of the Athlon 64 (non-DP ClawHammer) will cost?
                        Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 13 January 2003, 21:19.

Comment

I guess more than the fastest Athlon at launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulr
                            Once I see an AMD Athlon 64 running 64bit Windows I'll believe it.
                            At the current time MS still have not officially announed 64bit Windows for that platform.
                            The only 64bit Windows available and announced is that for Itanium - which will not work with the Athlon.
                            This isn't true. MS has had x86-64 Windows going out to hardware developers for months, AFAIK.

And to address an earlier comment: You probably won't need a "64-bit Windows," current Windows OSes should allow 64-bit execution by <B>programs</B> with only minor coaxing.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Heard that the P4 800fsb will cost ~ 20€ more then the same 400/533 models!
                              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                              X