Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geforce FX review! I'm defo keeping my Radeon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have just lisend to the MP3's......
    Argh! My ears.... Hpoe nVidia will fix this before they start selling boards....

How much do you think they can improve preformance with drivers?

Comment

Hehe...this is one lousy product!

But hey, they make the best MB chipsets...

Comment

Originally posted by CaineTanathos
        but check the individual benchmarkrelsults

it beats the crap out of the 9700
        Does it really? Let's see...
        The GF FX is faster in:
        - Fillrate MT: 3448 vs. 2527 MTex/s - well this was to be expected, it's a shear mathematical task considering pipelines and chip clockings. Even then the R9700 is much closer to it's theoretical max. (2600) than the GF FX (4000). Can you spell bandwidth limitations?
        - the HPC tests (1light: 94 vs. 67 MTri/s, 8 lights: 31 vs. 15MTri/s). The high poly tests of 3DMark are imo totally worthless as they up to now did not ever translate into real performance in real apps/games. And considering the MAJOR differences on the same chip between different driver versions this test seems not even to be loosely hardware limited but merely a case of driver optimizations for this specific bench...
        - EMBM: 226 vs 157 fps. They have to have had fastwrites disabled on the R300 (maybe it was disabled by SmartGart without them noticing it) to get scores that low. Feel free to check my score to see other results (OK, my card was oc'ed, but I don't think I'd manage a 57% increase through a 18% overclock)
        - Dot3 220 vs. 205 fps - A lead for the GF FX here, which is surprising, considering this test prooved to be mainly gfx-RAM throughput bound - maybe better bandwidth conserving techniques on the GF FX?
        - Pixel shader: 291 vs. 221 fps - another lead for the GF FX, but again lower than the clockspeed advantage.
        -Point sprites: 46 vs. 39 fps. A totally useless test, seems to be nearly only dependant on driver optimizations. The R8500 e.g. gained several thousands of percent in this test through newer drivers..

It loses in:
        -single texturing fillrate: 1575 vs.1767 MTex/s. The single texturing fillrate test of 3DMark due to poor code has proven in the past to be more of a gfx-card memory bandwidth benchmark than really testing fillrate.
        - Vertex Shaders: 173 vs. 200 fps - OK these are DX8.1 Shaders, still this is the kind of shaders the card is mostly going to have to do during it's shelf life.
        - advanced pixel shader: 132 vs. 199 fps - in the short standard shaders the GF FX was faster, make those effects more advanced / longer, the GF FX loses. Not good, although maybe these longer pixel shaders won't really be used during the cards shelf life, either.

So taking the important tests, the GF FX wins in multi texturing fillrate, short pixel shader tasks and maybe bumb mapping, the R9700 wins in longer pixel shaders and vertex shaders that might be used by new game titles, and additionally in the single texturing fillrate test which shows it's superior bandwidth. More of a draw here if you ask me.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

The thing to remember is that GeforceFX won't be going up against the R300, but R350, where it shall be whooped indeed.

The R300 shall then become a good bargain...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Anand's article was real good. He tested the setting that people actually use. And offcourse a lot of pics showing quality differences, where the GFFX doesn't look good.

Comment

It seems that R350 is due in march according too some rumours. Looks like bad news for Nvidea.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nice to see Nvidia stepping on their dick for a change...too bad Matrox has already blown their foot off with the Parhelia and doesnt look to be a player at all in the market that I'm interested in . I don't think Nvidia will tank from this....they'll prob have all the problems fixed in the NV35 in November. Its just a matter of what ATi has up their sleave to answer it then.
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The P would be alright around the £80 price or less if they don't sort out the banding issue.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, there do seem to be alternative uses for the GeForce FX

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Nice women is the gfarce fx the new action puller?????
                      Last edited by The PIT; 28 January 2003, 08:36.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

LOL
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

LOL@lecter

Comment

Okay who going to be suing Nvidea for getting burned.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Weee, it even doubles as a tool for ur gardener! Now that's real value!
                              Attached Files
                              All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I do so want one of those

Comment

Working...
                                X