No announcement yet.

Pop up eliminators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

www.weather.com has a 'flash' pop up I believe. You may have to hit refresh a few times to see it. Is that what it is?

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw, what don't you like about zone alarm?

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Zone Alarm is... well... bad.

I personally hate software-based content-filtering.

If you do a search you can find all the reasons why ZA is terrible.

As for those flash pops, they're irritating enough to me - some of the forums I frequent use them fairly extensively. Opera won't block them either.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

well, ZA has been extremely stable on my system except for one build about 9 months ago. It blocks pop ups, it blocks ports, it prevents unwanted cookies, it stops programs from using other programs to access the internet, it stops programs from using the internet, it stops mail bombs, prevents attachments from automatically opening in email, blocks on page ads, and all of these things are optional and you can tune it the way you like. Show me where this program is bad?

Dave

Comment

It blocks programs from accessing the Internet.

That in and of itself sounds wonderful, but in reality it's a TCP-stack-meddling piece of turd.

"GOOD GOD! IEXPLORE.EXE IS TRYING TO GET TO THE INTERNET! WHAT SHOULD WE DO: ABORT, TERMINATE, OR DISALLOW?"

"Allow."

"ARE YOU SURE? IT'S TRYING TO GET TO THE INTERNET! ONLY VIRUSES WANT TO GET TO THE INTERNET! GOOD GOD MAN, THINK!"

"Allow."

"Ok, but I'll let you know next time..."

"IEXPLORE.EXE IS TRYING TO ACCESS THE INTERNET! MY GOD IT MUST BE A VIRUS!"

----------------

Add to this the fact that it's a total CPU hog, and that it kills network performance... and you have a recipe for ... POOP.

Seriously, do a search in here on software firewalls. We've been over all of this before. People end up in two camps - yours (the "look it does all this nifty stuff" camp) and mine (the "stop ****ing with my TCP stack and hogging my CPU you festering shit monkey" camp).

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Note Bene:

Opera 7.20 final DOES seem to block scripted flash-ads! Woo!

- Gurm

Comment

If Steve Gibson says use Zonealarm - I'm gonna use it. ----- on top of my hardware firewall

If you want to check out your systems vulnerability go here:
                http://grc.com/default.htm
                and use the Shields Up feature.
                Last edited by gt40; 23 September 2003, 17:47.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Can you point to a site with these popups? I'm just curious to see if Firebird will catch them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    It blocks programs from accessing the Internet.

That in and of itself sounds wonderful, but in reality it's a TCP-stack-meddling piece of turd.

"GOOD GOD! IEXPLORE.EXE IS TRYING TO GET TO THE INTERNET! WHAT SHOULD WE DO: ABORT, TERMINATE, OR DISALLOW?"

"Allow."

"ARE YOU SURE? IT'S TRYING TO GET TO THE INTERNET! ONLY VIRUSES WANT TO GET TO THE INTERNET! GOOD GOD MAN, THINK!"

"Allow."

"Ok, but I'll let you know next time..."

"IEXPLORE.EXE IS TRYING TO ACCESS THE INTERNET! MY GOD IT MUST BE A VIRUS!"

----------------

Add to this the fact that it's a total CPU hog, and that it kills network performance... and you have a recipe for ... POOP.

Seriously, do a search in here on software firewalls. We've been over all of this before. People end up in two camps - yours (the "look it does all this nifty stuff" camp) and mine (the "stop ****ing with my TCP stack and hogging my CPU you festering shit monkey" camp).

- Gurm
                    It must have been a long time since you used ZA Gurm because when you first install it, it gives you an option to start with IE and a couple other programs ready to go. Second, you can manually allow or disallow all programs from the start so if you want ot pain stakingly try to remember each program, component, and other things that access the TCP stack, then you can do it. Third, it is not CPU, memory, or bandwidth hog from everything I've seen. Fourth, I've seen all of the topics about ZA on this forum and everyone says the same thing which is not much.

Seriously, I'd check it out again, maybe you might like it Also, I play online games with it enabled.

Dave

Comment

Gurm I second you on the ZA bit. I absolutely refuse to install that POS
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention that ZA now has flash popup blocker built in as well.

Dave

Comment

I just use Opera as well...
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

ZA Pro does tend to lock the PC when there's too much traffic on my LAN. Only got this once on this machine but it was frequent enough on previous systems.

Using IE6 SP1 with Google toolbar and as of late Opera 7.20 to block popups.

Comment

gt40,

You are aware that Steve Gibson is a fraud, yeah? He's been exposed as a complete fake about a dozen times over. His "shields up" and "nanoprobe" stuff is just simple HTTP requests, he's a total and utter fake and fraud.

Just so you know.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                                gt40,

You are aware that Steve Gibson is a fraud, yeah? He's been exposed as a complete fake about a dozen times over. His "shields up" and "nanoprobe" stuff is just simple HTTP requests, he's a total and utter fake and fraud.

Just so you know.

- Gurm
                                um - wrong.

Shields up is a port scanner - that's all. It just happens to have a more "friendly" (and sensationalist) user interface. It also provides an internet-connected computer to do the probing. Yes - he goes on and on about "Stealth Mode" and "Wide Open" ports - it makes him sound like an advertising exec.

To say that he's a total fraud - that's another thing entirely. He's not trying to sell anything with Shields up. If you look at his website, there are exactly two products for sale: SpinRite 5.0 and a set of books. SpinRite is probably the finest diagnostic tool ever written for the PC (though it is now outdated). He used to sell a screen saver, but that's no longer on the products page.

Basically, he's a smart guy who has written a bunch of utilities - some more useful than others - and gives most of them away for free.

Doesn't sound like a fraud to me.

- Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X