No announcement yet.

Christmas Shopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and remote desktop is a lot faster GUI than the VNC method. Its much much faster...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• I control my DL machine (now with six 200Gb Maxtor HDD's 1Tb yaaaay!!) with Remote desktop, and its just fine, i could even forget i was on the network. I am running GigE, but on 100Mbit it was fine...
      Was also looking into buying a SUN multi processor machine earlier this year, just couldn't find a usage for it! good work, and good luck keeping it alive and stable
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• cheers lads! I think that i'll go for the remote desktop

Its still copying that file that i posted earlier... so although the network is pants, the machine is still up...

I'm starting to suspect that it was VNC causing problems on disconnect...
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

• Remote Desktop is fantastic! Loads better than the VNC clients and much, much faster too! Cheers!

Its a shame that you create a new session, rather than logging onto the current one, but i guess that means that the server will be left in a more secure mode.... still no problems with the raid array, so i'm rebooting and restarting the file transfer though remote desktop. If all is well tomorrow, the hopefully we've cracked it.

I take it that when i log off remote desktop, then all file transfers will cease?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy
            I take it that when i log off remote desktop, then all file transfers will cease?
            You can either just disconnect (leaving the session active*) or log off completely.

Happy Admining!
            Chuck

* in which case you do not create a new session, you just reconnect with the one that is running.
            Last edited by cjolley; 30 December 2004, 14:58.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

• If you launch the RDP client with the /console switch (%SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console), it will connect to the local session instead of creating a new remote session. This works on W2K3, but not W2K.

As chuck said, if you just close the RDP client window by clicking the X, it'll leave the session active. If you select Start/Log Off, then it'll shut everything down.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

• cool!

It is still up after being on overnight... It has only coppied 2GB though! Still I can sort out the network another day!

Comment

• right... i closed the Remote Desktiop with 'X' and modified the shortcut to include the '/console' switch.

When i reconnected seconds later i got this:
                  Cannot copy xxx: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or application request

Comment

• When it rebooted I got 'Slot 1 array controller failure'.

Hm.....

Comment

• O.. here's the plan:

Step 1: Rebuld Array
                      Step 2: Initiate file transfer from a remote session, disconnect and reconnect to try and reproduce the error
                      Step 3: Rebuild Array and initiate local file trasfer - leave server pumping whilst i'm at work.

If the error is reproduced by step 2, then i'll diable Array Acceleration and try to reproduce it again.

If I still get errors, then I'll try the other card.

Sounds logical?

Comment

• btw, what do you think of the Adaptec 2400A?
                        It seems like a cheap way to add 1TB of disk space... I've got room in the box for the card, but i'll have to mount the drives externally (or deface the hot plugable SCSI array on the front)

Comment

• Right...

I cold booted, used remote desktop and started a file trasfer.
                          I hit 'X' and then reconnected only to find the IO error.

After a cold boot, then RAID array was complaining about write errors with Array Acceleration.

This hopefully confirms that the IO errors are being caused by session termination with active file transfers. It must be a caching issue.

I rebuilt the array and started transferring the same files but I did this from the server itself.

I am sure that when i get home it will still be running fine.

Next step will be to disbale Array Acceleration and try again.
                          I wonder what benefits Array Acceleration gives?

Comment

• Do you have an IRQ conflict? Is the RAID controller sharing with the video and/or NIC?
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

• I am not sure... the server does not use ACPI as Dev Mgr reports MPS multiprocessor.... i'll check now.

Comment

• You might have to look in the BIOS and/or manual to see which slots share wiring.
                                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                                X