X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jammrock
    Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy
    Local Policies -> Security Options
    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords t console logon only ... -> Disable
    HEY!
    I was trying to help you to get it to work!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I finally got around to playing with this it's a neat toy.

It works. The two things you have to remember are that the Host PC cannot be on a domain, and the Host PC Must have fast user switching on.

It's not limited to two connections, wither. I am currently running three concurrent RDP sessions to a box with no problems (two running VISIO, and other surfing Firefox). The first Two Terminal Services sessions have Audio, but none past that. Running Audio in Terminal Services is a fairly new thing (and it's a resource hog anyway).

All I have to do now is to put together a fairly beefy duallie and see how it performs as a "Workgroup Application Server". Differences between this Terminal Services and Win2K or Win2K3 Terminal Services is that User Accounts are limited to one session apiece.

KVHagedorn: you may want to look at this very carefully for your little project.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

This sounds exactly the thing I need for my parents. Now they have a broadband connection at home, my dad's asked for a second PC so he can check his email whilst my mum is doing her genealogy stuff

Do you have to be running SP2 for this? I've avoided installing it so far.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Well, it uses files from the last SP2 beta... But I don't know if you can use only these files...

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Found an issue with T-Bird relating to File Permissions with the Multiple User Teminal Services Hack:

If Simple Filesharing is enabled, USER accounts will fail to send email (Please check your mail account settings) in Thunderbird because Thunderbird.exe tries to write to the C:\Windows\Temp Directory which is off-limits to USERS. Enabling full file permissions enables Administrators to give WRITE access to the C:\Windows\Temp directory for all Thunderbird USERS. You can exclude USERS from READ access (Thunderbird will still be able to send the message) to keep the directory secure. I'm looking through the T-Bird notes to see if I can tell it to use something other than C:\Windows\Temp directory for the mail drop.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

So can i use this to remote connect to my pc from over the internet without logging off the first user AND without them needing to authenticate the connection?

It wont be much help to me if I need to be in my office to ok me connecting from afar
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

So can i use this to remote connect to my pc from over the internet without logging off the first user AND without them needing to authenticate the connection?
                Yes. Provided the Following conditions are met:

A: The PC is NOT on a Domain.
                B: Fast User Switching is Enabled.
                C: Regular NTFS Permissions are Recommended for best compatibility, you may have to tweak a few non-Microsoft programs to work in this environment.

The nice thing is you can validate this all by using concurrent remote connections (one as User, the other as an Administrator).

Comment

does the remote pc have to have any special requirments?
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                  X