Need a new keyboard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new keyboard...

So I saw the "Das Keyboard" thread and it reminded me that I need a new keyboard.

Currently I'm using the Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard, which has been a great keyboard for me, but like most Microsoft keyboards it eventually gets... loud. The keys get harder to push, and start making a boatload of noise. Listening to me type now is like ... well it's loud. In addition to key clicking, some of them make rattling or sproinging noises, I can only assume from the little guides underneath rattling around.

I am, apparently, brutal to keyboards.

So here's the problem - I could order one just like this. It'd last me another year, probably. But I would have to order it, because I can't find any at stores near here.

Apparently nobody makes Ergonomic keyboards anymore. Microsoft has certainly stopped. They're doing some weird stuff now. Their new "ergonomic" keyboards are tilted in and angled strangely and REALLY uncomfortable.

Logitech, apparently, doesn't make ANY ergonomic keyboards.

So anyone got any recommendations? My requirements:

- Comfortable. I prefer ergonomic, but I suppose if the keyboard were very comfortable I could settle for non-split.
    - Durable. I _abuse_ keyboards.
    - Quiet. Good god, can't anyone make a QUIET keyboard? Honestly, laptop keyboards are nice and quiet. Of course they are also not durable. I know, I ask a lot.

I'm tempted to get one of those roll-up keyboards that are silent, but of course accuracy on those is nonexistent.

Ideas?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I went for the logitech UltraX. Can't say it's quiet and it takes a little time to get used to

Comment

Not seeing it at Logitech's site. Link?
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Not seeing it at Logitech's site. Link?
        http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pa...=7440,detail=2

There are some metal keyboards out, maybe that's something for you. Found a link here http://www.meroncourt.co.uk/prodview/1063 , claims to have a robust case and to be quiet. But i don't have first-hand-experience with that.

R.
        Last edited by Rakido; 28 June 2005, 08:06.
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Quiet, huh? I guess you'll be the first in line for the keyboards that are just image projected on desk?

Comment

Then, he would need a tougher desk.

Comment

I'm not demanding absurdly quiet, just quieter than the one that I've got, which goes clicky CLICKY SPROING CLICKY!!!!

Comment

Actually the UltraX looks really nice, only it's almost $100! Ouch!

Then again if it's really nice... *shrug*

Anyway, there seems to be an UltraX media desktop with a similar keyboard for only $55 for the keyboard/mouse wireless combo. Odd.

Might have to see if any of the local stores carry this sort of thing. Why do I doubt it?

Comment

Almost 100$? Here it costs a little more than 100...zl

Comment

I'm a big fan of Cherry keyboards...
                    Discover the largest selection of CHERRY products: Switches, Gaming, Office & Home Office, Industrial, Cybersecurity and Healthcare Solutions.

If you are looking for something ergonomic, isn't Kinesis the brand to look at?

Allthough I must admit I really like my Datahand keyboard for typing texts; but it is not suited for overall use IMO.
                    Find intelligent, relevant and thought-provoking articles in data, business, technology, science and more. Discover a bigger world, translating data into knowledge.

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      Actually the UltraX looks really nice, only it's almost $100! Ouch!
                      100$

Is that an online store and if so, do you have a link? 100$ is ridiculous. Here the price is just around 35$. I have one at home and one at work and I'm very happy with it. It's not exactly ergonomic, but the laptop style keys are really nice when you do a lot of typing (programming).
                      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I have a Cherry G80-3000. Not ergonomic at all, big, ugly, loud, no special keys, 70 EUR. I love it. Survived 2 Orange Juice Attacks without any problem, if one of the gold-contact switches (the same as in "Das Keyboard", they bought Cherry switches) should fail (unlikely), I could just solder a new one in I expect this one to last me for at least ten years.

EDIT: "Das Keyboard" doesn't use Cherry keyswitches, apparently. They aren't available in differently weighted versions (only 3 different type of action: Clicky, Linear, and err.. a third, I think it was a hybrid), but they are more durable 50,000,000 keystrokes.

AZ
                        Last edited by az; 29 June 2005, 04:01.
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B
                          100$

Is that an online store and if so, do you have a link? 100$ is ridiculous. Here the price is just around 35$. I have one at home and one at work and I'm very happy with it. It's not exactly ergonomic, but the laptop style keys are really nice when you do a lot of typing (programming).
                          Apparently there are two models from what I can see - the kind that comes in the UltraX Media Desktop, which is wireless and has a mouse... and runs about $55 for keyboard AND mouse.

Also there is the standalone, which is styled somewhat differently and costs $95+ for just the keyboard. I'm not entirely certain what the difference is. I think I've seen the wireless media desktop one at the store... but not the other.

Comment

...and there's wired model for 30$...

Comment

I like the HP workstation keyboards pre the merger with Compaq. The white ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X