Windows "Vista"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows "Vista"

Apparently that is the official name of Windows Longhorn. So far I hate it. Myabe it will grow on me. They plan to announce it tomorrow I guess.

ActiveWin.com gives you the largest range of Windows and Microsoft news that you can get anywhere on the internet
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Windows View?

Enough with the not so clever attempts at spicing up an obviously unoriginal name.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

no official confirmation yet... we'll see later today
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It is official now: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

And it is officially the most retarded OS name ever invented. I have a feeling I'm going to be an OSX man in a year or two.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I like this better than Windows eXPerience...

Comment

I don't like the name Windows Vista one bit!!! However as long as it performs better with less bloatware than XP I'm happy.

Hopefully it will have some 64 bit code as well, I mean both Intel and AMD both have 64 bit procs, so lets hope for that.

Anyone on the beta program?

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
              I don't like the name Windows Vista one bit!!! However as long as it performs better with less bloatware than XP I'm happy.

Hopefully it will have some 64 bit code as well, I mean both Intel and AMD both have 64 bit procs, so lets hope for that.

Less bloat... ware... HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH!

You ARE aware that they keep chopping MAJOR features because the bloat is so bad that it runs like molasses, right?
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                Less bloat... ware... HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH!

You ARE aware that they keep chopping MAJOR features because the bloat is so bad that it runs like molasses, right?
                rigghhhttt...
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Elie

both the 32bit builds and 64bit builds are run out of a unified code base. it should help adoption of the 64 bit desktop.

the name may be gay but it sounds better than Windows XP. at least the marketing types are not trying to be "eXXXtreme" this time around.

funny thing though. Microsoft is still referring to it as Longhorn in quite a few places. it will be interesting to see how quickly that changes. when they named Windows XP they released Beta 2 simultaneously with the announcement, and most of the other references were changed at the same time.

oh well. they will probably get them changed by COB.

Comment

Well it's definitely not a speed demon by any account at this point; however, the stripping of features is really coming down to the fact that, once again, Microsoft can't finish those components with a set level of functionality and reliability in the timeframe they have. Which is partly amusing given that a couple or so of those features have been in development since the pre-NT 4.0 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                      Well it's definitely not a speed demon by any account at this point; however, the stripping of features is really coming down to the fact that, once again, Microsoft can't finish those components with a set level of functionality and reliability in the timeframe they have. Which is partly amusing given that a couple or so of those features have been in development since the pre-NT 4.0 days.
                      that is correct, however most of the complaints about it's performance come from the fact that they are all developer builds or leaked internal builds, usually aimed at testing specific features or bugs. no one has seen enough of it running at one time to begin to make solid conclusions about the final product or the performance it has to offer other than the fact you will want a beefy computer with a beefy video card to run it with all the eyecandy.

Comment

As I said, "at this point"

Quite honestly, the first releases of Mac OS X were dogs, and with all the changes being made to Windows I'd expect that the first release isn't going to be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                          my FX 5200 is not going to cut the butter
                          Isn't DX9 capable card all that is required?

Comment

LOL where's a sarcastic icon when you need one

I know even Windows XP has tons of unwanted features which take up CPU resources and memory, that is what I consider bloatware. I hate it when each time I install Windows having to go through the "Services" and "Msconfig" to disable unwanted services and unwanted TSR's running in the background that many people don't even know about.

Anyway time will tell, and like what Dghost said, no one has seen it run for an extended period of time to actually judge it's true performance, so we'll have to wait and see.

Regards,
                            Elie

Comment

Strange, I thought Vista was a 3D terrain renderer for the Amiga! I distinctly remember making a 10 meg looping fly-by animation of Yosemite on my A1200, but it never occured to me that the program would evolve into a PC operating system...

Comment

Working...
                              X