DELL 24-inch Widescreen for $299

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next monitor will be one of those LED tft's, i'm holding out for that
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My MSI Wind is LED backlight, excellent color and excellent viewing angles.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

WTF is a TN?

I recently picked up a 24" Samsung LCD for $290 or so after rebate.

It's a decent monitor, but I'm not in love. The reds are overly bright and are somewhat pinkish, an the viewing angle leaves a little to be desired.

Aside from that, it has a swivel stand and an adjustible height base, etc.

I'll rock it for a couple of years or until I can get a nicer monitor for $250.

Comment

TN = Twisted Nematic

Its an older lcd technology that is very cheap, so the glass manufacturers are using that in cheap high volume panels. They have fast response time, but poor viewing angle and color shift/inversion when not viewed directly in front.

The problem with a widescreen TN monitor is that it is large enough that you can see some viewing angle problems along the edges even when sitting right in front of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
            TN = Twisted Nematic

The problem with a widescreen TN monitor is that it is large enough that you can see some viewing angle problems along the edges even when sitting right in front of it.
            Yes, especially when you're sitting quite close to the screen. Another problem that is more obvious on TN panel based TFTs is the backlight bleeding (the backlight can pass a TN panel easier compared to *VA or IPS panels).
            Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
              TN = Twisted Nematic

Its an older lcd technology that is very cheap, so the glass manufacturers are using that in cheap high volume panels. They have fast response time, but poor viewing angle and color shift/inversion when not viewed directly in front.
              Sounds exactly like my 24" Samsung! lol.

I kind of can, but I have to focus on it. However, if I'm 30* off of the center of the monitor, i start losing color and contrast fast.

When purchasing an LCD online, what's the easiest way to tell if it's TN or not?

Comment

One way to find out is having a look at the viewing angle. TN: between 160 and 170°, S-PVA / S-IPS: usually 178°.

The price also tells a lot about the panel. A 24" TFT with S-PVA or S-IPS panel usually costs at least 500 EUR (at least these days here in Germany).

Jörg
                Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Another is looking it up on prad.de and checking the type of panel in specifications. Although for some OEM monitors, the panel can vary.

Otherwise, Lenovo L220x is 22", WUXGA and MVA and costs about 360 Euros.

Comment

As I've mentioned on here before I got a DGM 24" panel for only £200, maybe 6 months ago. It has a basic feature set, but image quality is on par with my Dell 2407, and it is a PVA panel. A genuine bargain.
                    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambo-Fan View Post
                      One way to find out is having a look at the viewing angle. TN: between 160 and 170°, S-PVA / S-IPS: usually 178°.
                      Yep, I definitely have a TN then.

Comment

You mentioned your screen tends to run a bit red. Have you calibrated it yet? The Samsung I used to have (sold to Gurm when I bought my first Dell widescreen) tended to run towards blue. Samsung's Magictun works pretty well for this: Link.

I wish I could afford a Spyder or Eye One to calibrate my screens/printers/scanners but sadly I've never been able to justify the cost. However, I've had a lot of luck with Nvidia's built in calibration wizard in their control panel. My two Dell's look significantly different until I run it.

Other options are:
                        http://www.displaycalibration.com/br..._contrast.html
                        http://www.monitorsetup.com/

I've used others but not having much google luck this morning.
                        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                          You mentioned your screen tends to run a bit red. Have you calibrated it yet? The Samsung I used to have (sold to Gurm when I bought my first Dell widescreen) tended to run towards blue. Samsung's Magictun works pretty well for this: Link.

I wish I could afford a Spyder or Eye One to calibrate my screens/printers/scanners but sadly I've never been able to justify the cost. However, I've had a lot of luck with Nvidia's built in calibration wizard in their control panel. My two Dell's look significantly different until I run it.

Other options are:
                          http://www.displaycalibration.com/br..._contrast.html
                          http://www.monitorsetup.com/

I've used others but not having much google luck this morning.

Welcome to Samsung IN. Discover a wide range of home electronics with cutting-edge technology including TVs, smartphones, tablets, home appliances & more!

Looks like there's no linux version of this software (I run kubuntu). :-/

Perhaps I can mess with the NVIDIA control panel?

Comment

If you can make a .icm file in Windows using any of those programs you can use xcalib to enable it in X.

http://xcalib.sourceforge.net/
                            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                            X