Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer case recommendations

Hello,

I finally made the decision to put together a new pc... The planning would be for it to be useful as both htpc and gaming pc (which I know will make silencing it quite a challange).

As a case, I feel that a desktop-model would be the more elegant solution, but I'm struggling finding suitable cases. I really like the OrigenAE s16t and it features, but don't know if they are that useful; and also the much simpler Lian-Li PC-C33 (33 is a 32 with minor internal changes, to be released soon), but am not sure if they are silent enough. As an alternative, I have thought about going for a tower model (e.g. Lian-li PC-B25b - which is part of their 'silent' range - or Lian-li PC-x500 - which is part of their multimedia-purpose range). Both of those tower cases are sound isolated, but of course, their tower cases...

I have read that the Asus GTX260 cards are very silent (esp. when not doing a difficult task, including even blu-ray playback), so was thinking about putting one (or maybe two in SLI). Other cards I'd put in would be a dual analog TV tuner (Hauppauge or Pinnacle) and a soundcard (looking at Auzentec).
    As for the mainboard, nVidia is working on hybridSLI for the intel platform (9300 and 9400), but so far the first mainboards still need to hit the market, and they initially won't support hybridPower (a feature where, the additional GPUs are not powered (= no noise) when the tasks can be done by the onboard GPU - and this includes even blu-ray playback); waiting for that may be interesting...

So, what would you do about the case?
    Get a silent tower (which may be more difficult to position in a living room), or take the risk and go for a desktop-model (which may not be as silent)?
    Any other suggestions?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

If you are thinking of SLI, or even a gaming machine in general, a desktop model might be a poor decision (lack of air flow). I'd check out a P182, and get a fan controller or something that can lower the fan speeds even lower when needed.
    The P182 is a pretty quiet case, but at night when the rest of the house is dead silent it is still easily audible. The hefty door on it really helps keep the dvd drive noise down.

This thing has potential, but might look terrible in real life, and considering it is silverstone might be quite $$. http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/rv01.php Not sure when it'll be available.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Comment

That Antec Earthwatts 380w would be a little weak if he wants it to be a gaming computer.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Also, the antec is for microATX.

I don't quite understand the difference in cooling. These double slot coolers, I thought the point was to draw in air from the case and expell it via the video card. Why isn't it sufficient to use any case that can draw in enough air?
          (no experience with sli)

And if not, would the aforementioned Lian-Li towers suffice?

Thanks!
          pixar

Comment

I don't like the way the fans are set up in the Lian Li. It's not really sucking in air directly from outside the case. However since the fans aren't placed directly in front or behind any hardware it should be pretty quiet.

Comment

Could you explain what point I am missing regarding the cooling the videocards in the desktop case? Why isn't it sufficient to use any case that can draw in enough air?

edit: Just checked out the mechanical drawing of the P182, and I don't really see the difference between how the fans are mounted here, and how they are in the Lian Li. Both have 2 large intake fans behind a front panel and dust filter...

Thanks!

Jörg
              Last edited by VJ; 24 November 2008, 01:30.
              pixar

Comment

Are we looking at the same case?
                This is the Lian Li setup:

What exactly is directing that cold air in that direction I have no idea.

Comment

D'oh, my bad, I think you are referring to the PC-B25b, which should be fine

Here's a quick little diagram I made (read: terrible) of the way I have my p182 setup.

And no thats not my actual case, I just stole the picture from google images.
                  Here's where I took it from, http://www.marianresearch.com/computer_part2.html, nice watercooling build log
                  Last edited by Mehen; 24 November 2008, 04:09.

Comment

Yes, the B25 and X500 look very similar in cooling to the P182...

In that C32 desktop case, I think the assumption is made that there are no other holes than those on the side, and the fans move the air from the front to the back. Hence the air has to enter through those holes. I've seen internal pictures of the upcoming C33 and it seems to have different fan positions (better layed out for airflow).

But this brings me back to my point: why is a desktop case less suited for sli? If it can draw in sufficiant air, it ought to be fine?

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

If it can, then yes, but normally they can't. In general they are meant for quiet HTPC machines, not beasty SLI setups (for example the C32 doesn't have the greatest cooling).

Comment

For the ultra-modern living room, if you have a lot of cash to spare: http://www.antec.com/ec/pro_en_skeleton.php

HT expensive and better gamer-oriented solution: http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetai...?ProdID=08750#
                        Reviews:
                        PlayStation & Nintendo Reviews, Trailers, & Tips

We find the best PC case, no matter what your budget is, build form factor. All of these cases provide excellent airflow and aesthetics.

Antec Fusion HTPC Shootout
                        Tons of pictures: http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery.aspx?id=238

HT less expensive solution: http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetai...?ProdID=08770#
                        Last edited by TransformX; 24 November 2008, 05:28.
                        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Interesting looking case!

But according to the SilentPCReview review, dual video cards do indeed still seem to pose a problem (limited airflow to one of them).

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Chances are I'll go for one of those tower models (silence is more important than case layout).

I haven't ruled out some form of watercooling yet... Any comments on that?
                            (e.g. use a Zalman Reserator XT to cool 2 videocards, cpu etc can be done the normal way)

It seems like fun to try it, but then again maybe too much hassle for what it delivers...

Jörg
                            Last edited by VJ; 25 November 2008, 02:59.
                            pixar

Comment

Why go SLI?
                              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                              X