computer case recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading up on video card noise levels, and found this:
    The performance of AMD's Radeon HD 4850 surprised everyone – including Nvidia. The 4870 continues the tradition, delivering excellent price/performance.

However, on SilentPCReview, they measured this:
    A good graphics card is essential for high performance, but which one should you get? The lines between Nvidia and AMD are becoming more blurred and all the different model variations can make your head spin. Fortunately, we’ve scoured them all to deliver a detailed roundup of the best graphic cards. We cover the best

Just to compare, SilentPCReview tested a 4830 (same testbed):
    The 4000 series video cards is one of ATI’s most successful, and also one of the most wide-ranging. There’s the HD 4870 X2 at the top — widely lauded as the current performance graphics champ — followed by the 4870 and 4850. With the HD 4670 at $80 and the HD 4850 at $170, it

(the description of the noise seems worse than the gtx260, which is much more powerful. So this basically makes me wonder about higher spec ati cards...)

Problem is that the distance differs, the gtx260 card manufacturer differs, and that spcr measures with the system inside a dampened case...
    How can one possibly compare all this...

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 27 November 2008, 04:00.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

How about two of these (though 1 should be enough for most of your needs):

Couldn't find info about the noise levels of this one:
      Last edited by TransformX; 27 November 2008, 05:43.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

This card:

is also said to be much quieter than the stock 4870...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

I could of course sacrifice a bit of performance, and get two passive 4850 cards:

No noise anymore.....

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            This card:

is also said to be much quieter than the stock 4870...

Jörg
            I skipped this card in my recommendations due to the Firingsquad review.
            The bottom line was that the 1GB cards were more appealing, that's why I've posted a link to a quiet 1GB card made by Sapphire.

Oh and no, 2x 4850 is by no way a compromise. These cards are beasts.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Well, Gigabyte has completely passive 4850 cards and passive 9600 cards. I still tend to prefer the nVidia cards. Two of those can outperform a single gtx260...

I'm have seen that the gtx260 on 55nm are imminent. Presumably, these can be more silent. So maybe worth the wait.
              pixar

Comment

I've been reluctant to reply..........I have a silverstone htpc case and it's near silent with 3 tuner cards, a gigabyte 9600gs, 2 hd on pata at800gb total, dvd drive.. ruynning sagetv...I 'm using all 'quiet' fans. I can't imagine what VJ is thinking could be louder. ( I have, including the PS fans..10 fans going and I can't even hardly hear it )
                Once I turn on the tube, anything noise I can concentrate on, from the htpc, is irrelevant.

Comment

Well, my current system is WAY too loud (5 years old, fans: psu, 2x80mm in, 2x80mm out, 2x60 mm cpu), so maybe I am overcompensating... (before anyone else comes up with it: overcompensating given what I now of my current system, nothing else ).

But I do have very sensitive hearing, so I'm trying to get it as silent as possible.
                  pixar

Comment

Well in a dead silent bedroom I think an Antec P182 is noisy which is apparently one of the quietest cases you can buy... If you really want DEAD silent, they say watercooling is the way to go.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I have considered watercooling, and there are interesting watercooling kits (e.g. Zalman Reserator XT, Koolance Exos), but I keep wondering if it is worth the hassle; after all: there is a pump and fans to help cool the radiator which both may make noise. It also requires more maintenance (draining/refilling the circuit every two-or-so years). It also moves away from more default components (a video card with waterblock implies that one HAS to use watercooling, there is no way out). Part of me wants to try it, and part of me finds its too cumbersome...

Silentmaxx offers noise isolated cases. They have prebuilt systems as well, which one can configure and for this they show the noise; this configuration:

is said to output 19 dB(A) even with a GTX280 (when a hdd silencer is added)
                      So I'm still not 100% clear on the case (either the SilentMaxx, or the Lian-Li).

Jörg
                      Last edited by VJ; 28 November 2008, 07:21.
                      pixar

Comment

Just noticed:
                        GT200 55nm to show up in retail in December
                        pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Mehen View Post
                          Well in a dead silent bedroom I think an Antec P182 is noisy which is apparently one of the quietest cases you can buy... If you really want DEAD silent, they say watercooling is the way to go.
                          Just to be clear on this:
                          Suppose I watercool the videocard(s) using some external watercooling setup. Does this imply that I can opt for a "smaller" case (e.g. desktop model)?

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Yeah, seems logical.
                            Heh I suppose you don't even need a fan on your radiator
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I have thought about that, and asked Zalman about specific cooling specs. They were very helpful, and told me the passive reserators (reserator 1 plus, reserator1 V2, reserator 2) can dissipate 150 W of hea; but bfgtech says their watercooled 260 generates 186 W. So one it won't be able to cool it...
                              The Zalman Reserator XT can dissipate 500 W, and does get very good comments on noise (passive when possible). Seeing how the cards behave under light load, makes me think the watercooler could be completely passive when not gaming.
                              I am reconsidering going the watercooled route, but only for the videocards... Just seems like fun.
                              Last edited by VJ; 1 December 2008, 01:29. Reason: added links
                              pixar

Comment

Enjoy the great hearing while you can. It's only a matter of time, and other factors, before you can be like the other 50+% of peeps that hears random ringing or or heartbeats, in their heads.
                                Tinnitus SUXXORS. I really savor those times that are 'silent'.

Comment

Working...
                                X