No announcement yet.

Coppermine is GREAT!!! Beware Athlon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denty... wish I had more than my three machines doing WU's. Maggster (and others) have access to soo many more!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Anyone know how Compaq, Gateway, etc are doing with their K7 units? Any stability problems? What MB are they using? Of course they're proprietary to some extent, but they usually modify an Intel board. Did they use a AMD board?

B

Comment

Not yet, guys ...

I use my working rig (2xP3-450), my home rig (Cel333A@500), a G4-450, a reg. Cel333A and an olden P2-350, whereas the latest three are not crunching all day long, but just in between, when the machines are free.

But depsite that I'm only a handfull of WUs away from my first Millennium-WU ...

Maggi 997 WUs

------------------
        Cheers,
        Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Gurm, I have an InWin Q500-300A full tower that came with an AMD approved 300w supply for $85 (like what else was I gonna put it in... as I needed something big enough to handle all the athlons that I test and not be a pain in the arse And my mem, well it really is the cheapest nastiest dirtiest grundgiest generic PC100 cas3 stuff you can get your hands on! Which I might add runs fabulous at cas2.

Greebie who believes in the biggest bang for the buck is best!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Brian R.;

I can only answer about Gateway. Gateway is doing quite well with their Athlon systems. They are very stable, and about 150 bucks cheaper on average than an identically equipped P3 system. There are a few hardare components they cannot sell with them due to temporary driver issues, but nothing major. They are selling extrordinarily well. The motherboard is produced exclusivly for Gateway by Jabil.

------------------
            -Michael
            ---------------
            "There is much cruelty in the universe.."
            "Yeah, and we seem to have a treasure map to it..."
            --Excerpt from "Farscape: Bone to be Wild."
            G400 32MB DH. Asus p5a. AMD K63-450. 128 MB. Huappage WinTV-PCI. SoundBlaster Live Value.
            -Michael
            ---------------
            "There is much cruelty in the universe.."
            "Yeah, and we seem to have a treasure map to it..."
            --Excerpt from "Farscape: Bone to be Wild."
            G400 32MB DH. Asus p5a. AMD K63-450. 128 MB. Huappage WinTV-PCI. SoundBlaster Live Value.

Comment

Michael - Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised they are trouble-free. From what I've heard on this site, there appears to be a problem with finding a MB that is easy to work with and reliably stable.

Comment

ChrisReal
                how about a ahlon @500mhz o/c'ed to 700mhz
                stable.msi 6167 mb.128 meg pc133 ram.
                g400 dualhead 32megs.
                3dmark 2000:3301 marks.
                this thing rocks.eats all pentium overpriced junk.

------------------
                IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!
                IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!

Comment

I guess nobody told Gurm it was pounce on Gurm Day last Tuesday. Pounce on Jammrock day is Friday

Okay, there is no way to tell how old hardware is going to react with new hardware until you actualy put it in and try. For all we know the G800 may crash on some 820 board and run smooth as silk on an Athlon board or vise versa.

True Intel has a better track record, but that's mainly because they have been a monopoly until a year ago, so nobody cared to develop for AMD/VIA stuff. Times have changed though, and AMD is taking market from Intel big time, so I would expect development for AMD/VIA to get better. And since Matrox is famous for their great AMD/VIA support, despite some hardware snags, I would assume the 'G800' would work fine in an Athlon system from the get go.

So let's just all smile and be friends

Jammrock

------------------
                  PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can't hold this back anymore... I wouldn't suggest an Athlon system if we were Nvidia addicts! Seems that they have driver issues with SlotA MB's and thus have sideband addressing disabled!

Matrox on the other hand, doesn't have those problems!

Comment

Working...
                    X