Asus Bios! upgrade in win2k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You people aren't listening.

There's some setting in the BIOS that's holding down your system. I've flashed various BIOS revisions on different motherboards DOZENS OF TIMES, and never once has NT or Win2k failed to boot because of it.

And yes, some of the motherboards have been ASUS. In fact, I've flashed, under Win2k, the BIOS on:

ASUS P3B-F
    ASUS P2B
    Epox Via-Thingermajig
    ABIT BP6
    ABIT BE6
    ABIT BF6
    ABIT BE6-2
    ABIT BX6
    ABIT BX6-2
    ABIT BH6
    Mainboard Dual Server board
    Among others...

So there's something you're doing that is HORRIBLY WRONG in the BIOS. Go, figure out your BIOS settings, and then come back. Ok?

Oh, and you DID make sure to use the latest flasher, right? Not the older one? And you DID make sure to flash the boot block as well? And you DID make sure to go into the BIOS and tell it to reset the ESCD information so that it would find the devices and boot properly, right?

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm our problem is that we can't make a boot disk ...useless we use a old win98 bootdisk? I updated my bios before too! but we are trying to make the disk to do so in win2k? ...instead of using an old win98, even that i haven't tried but might work...just wanted to know if there is another solution to it.

Comment

Gurm our problem is that we can't make a boot disk ...useless we use a old win98 bootdisk?
        I updated my bios before too! but we are trying to make the disk to do so in win2k? ...instead of using an old win98, even that i haven't tried it but might work...just wanted to know if there is another solution to it.

Comment

I had flashed my ASUS P3B-F BIOS from 1004 to 1005 with a Win98 Boot disk and Win 2000 started with no trouble.

I have not tried it with the Caldera Dr. DOS diskettee created form Drive Image 3.0 in Win 2000, but why buy more DOS when you don't have too?

Say, what ever happened with Caldera suing MS after buying Dr. DOS?

------------------
          ASUS P3B-F * P III 500 * 256MB ECC RAM * Two Cheetah LVD's * Barracuda UW * DiamondMAX IDE * Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32 * Hitachi IDE DVD * 2940U2W * SB Live * 3Com 905B-TX NIC * 3Com Courier V. Ext. * Hollywood + * Win 98SE, Win 2000 *

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Caldera recently won that suit.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If I recall correctly, Caldera didn't actually "win". It was settled out of court, with MS paying only a few million dollars.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well everyone, my bios is upgraded to 1012B_DS, had to go over to a friends house to copy the system files and the bios files on a floopy disk. And just do the usually updated bios,everything works fine...doing this process which i don't think it's the best.

Comment

OK, I finally had some time to look at it closely and it was a bios setting. The flash changed the hard drive detection to NORMAL from its previous value of AUTO. Stupid me. I changed it back to AUTO and it finally booted properly.

RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Until I got real familiar with my BIOS/SCSI BIOS settings, I used to print all the pages with the "print screen" key for easy review. Of course that does not work on all MB BIOS, like a P3B-F.
                    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                    Matrox P
                    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                    LianLiPC70

Comment

So what's the problem with using a Win98 boot disk? It's easy, quick, and the only way to deal with DOS stuff. Until ASUS comes out with a Windows patcher (like, probably never) it's the only way.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                      X