Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys!

Just wanted to let ya know...

MY DSL FINALLY WORKS! I'm getting 46KB/s! thats 384kbps! Big improvement over my old 33.6 kbps modem!

I love it!

Have fun lads,

Jake

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 07 September 2000).]
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Jake, FYI, the nomenclature is B for Byte and b for bit.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks!

Isn't it also correct that "K" means 1024 and "k" means 1000?

KB = 1024 bytes
        Kb = 1024 bit
        kB = 1000 bytes
        kb = 1000 bit

It's easy to make a mistake here.

Regards,

Jake
        Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
        ----------------------
        Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

I've never noted any consistency in the capitalization of k: Its meaning is more of a matter of what type of device you're referring to. Kilo, when its referring to communication speeds is always 1024; when its referring to storage, its always 1000. Seems some marketing geniuses though it would be a good idea to measure storage as factors of 1000 bytes as it gives the impression of larger capacity.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Update: Gave the Linksys router to a friend of mine. He doesn't use PPPoE and he couldn't get it to maintain a connection either. Maybe a bad router...

Comment

I have Zone Alarm installed and I checked my security at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
              and I am completly in Stealth mode. The site informed me that I had the best security available. Zone alarm is free for personal use.

Comment

Hi, here in Spain we have ADSL too, and it´s almost a bargain! these are the different types of connections available:

2 Mbit Up/ 384 Kbit Down 150 US$/month
                512 Kbit Up/ 128 Kbit Down 75 US$/month
                256 Kbit Up/ 128 Kbit Down 30 US$/month

I have played with the routers from Zyxel and SpeedStream and to be honest the Zyxel are top notch compared to the rest in terms of easy installation,configuration and results: excellent speed and security. You can add PPPoE support, 10Mbit integrated 4 port hub, and ready to surf!

Comment

My Zyxel router is invisible. I haven't had to restore my connection more than twice since I've installed it. Also, I don't have to go through hoops to reinitiate the connection, as I had to do with my previous Linksys router. Maybe Linksys has solved the PPPoE problem with their most recent firmware.

Comment

Working...
                  X