Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a hub and now my dsl upstream went WAY down, can someone help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, you don't need two nics in the second computer. It will connect to DSL through the firewall computer which gets two nics. One of the nics in the firewall computer connects to your modem and the other one connects to the other computer. Make sure you have NAT32 in the firewall computer (see link from Greebe).

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 05 October 2000).]

Comment

Brian- If I do it this way will the hub I have now work fine then or should I still get a switch or dsl router, this is a bit confusing because it seems like all these things_router,hub,switch) do the same thing.All I want is to have my dsl running at the speed it does when I plug it directly into the nic, it slows the upstream down alot when going thru the hub for some reason but I have everything here I guess I would need to try it. It makes sense that if I just put in my old nic and plug the dsl to that and then use the 10/100 for my network it should be fine. I would still plug the cable from the second nic into uplink or just a regular port?I am allowed 2 ip's with my dsl setup.I currently have 2 different ones so do I still need nat? Thanks to everyone Just checked and all my pci slots are full so this being the case it looks like a switch or router may be the call.

[This message has been edited by Kookstick (edited 05 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kookstick (edited 05 October 2000).]
      Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

"If I do it this way will the hub I have now work fine then or should I still get a switch or dsl router, this is a bit confusing because it seems like all these things_router,hub,switch) do the same thing...all my pci slots are full so this being the case it looks like a switch or router may be the call."

You should abandon the hub and get a DSL router. Using a switch will speed you up, but will require a software firewall as Greebe uses. Since as you said above, your PCI slots are all full, and you only have one NIC per computer, get the Zyxel Prestige 314 or the Linksys BEFSR41, plug in your nics and modem to the router and forget it.

If you want to understand the differences between hubs, switches and routers, see the link in my post above.

Comment

Kookstick,

A switch or a hub can't replace router. what a router will do (in your case as it will be a nat router) is to make it possible for all the computers on you own network to communicate with the internet through one external ip adress (the one you get from your isp.) You can have as many computers connect to the internet as you like to the internet with a nat router.

A router can either be a pc with two nic's and routing software on it or one of those hardware routers like one of thoese dsl router thingies..

A switch does basically do the same as a hub (connect pc's), but it does it in a different way.
          A switch is used to limit collision's on the network. In stead of sending all data to every port on (as a hub does), it switches between the ports. If there is traffic from port A for port B, Port A will be switched to Port B.

A switch will only be faster if you either want to use full duplex (you can't use full duplex with a hub)or have a large amount of traffic on your local network (probably not).

Grtz,
          Ed

[This message has been edited by EdSki (edited 05 October 2000).]

Comment

Kool, only the machine that'll be connected directly to the net needs two nics. This one also will be the only one that needs a NAT and firewall(additional ones can be added to the others if you feel the need).

I haven't figured out why everyone keeps telling you that you must go with a switch or a specialized router tho. I'm boasting much higher bandwidth and my simple, cheap hub doesn't limit me(yet).

Maybe this will help http://www.nat32.com/htm/pppoe.htm
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X