Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to change my audio card, need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reasonably happy with my Vortex II in Win2k...as long as I forget about 3d sound. What does it for me is that the drivers have speaker compensation for my model of speakers, which gives a really well-defined sound, much better than I could achieve messing with the graphic equaliser. Also, the stereo-widening effect works extremely well when used on certain type of CD/MP3 music.
    Unfortunately, I'd be stuffed if I ever switched to a Duron/Thunderbird motherboard (apparently).

Comment

I've been considering upgrading my SB Live for a SB Live 5.1 (Dolby Digital decoder built in). I'm planning on buying a Midiland 5.1 speaker system and would like to have a card which will eliminate the need for a separate decoder. My choices are either to get the SB Live (Platinum) 5.1 and Midiland S4 7100 speakers/subwoofer for a total of around $350 or to keep my current sound card and get the Midiland S4 8200s - which come with a separate decoder for about $300. Any advice? I'd like to use the speakers with my computer/dvds and my tv/vcr/satellite system, without having to unplug one or the other - and without having to have my computer on to get Dolby Digital support while watching tv.

Comment

Do the newer live cards have anything different from the originals?

Comment

In a word, no. Unless you're talking about the Live 5.1 cards, which have a built-in 5.1 decoder but other than that are also the same.

(Oh, also the Platinum version of the 5.1 comes with LiveDrive II in all countries, and a spiffy remote control!)

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
          X