Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC acting weird

Hi, I've got another problem - well, my friend has another problem

He's got a brand new T-bird 900 on a Biostar mobo along with 256MB RAM running Win98. For some reason the PC refuses to install various programs (Q3A, Adobe Go Live,...) and others make the PC freeze (so no blue screens) at startup (UT, Carmageddon 3...)

We've changed the mobo and RAM and the problems still remain so it has nothing to do with that. We've also removed every card that's not necessary; same thing.

My guess is that it's the cooler. It's only AMD certified up to 800MHz while the CPU runs at 900MHz. It's either that or the CPU is broken. What do you guys think? Could it be the cooler or is it the CPU. I'd say the PC wouldn't boot at all if it were the CPU but then again, who am I.

[addendum]Another strange thing is that incoming network traffic arrives corrupted while there's no mention of bad CRC's or anything.
    Also, his goldfish died yesterday.

[This message has been edited by IcedEarth (edited 15 March 2001).]
    KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Hello IcedEarth
    I have a friend who had similar problems & it turned out that the BIOSTAR mobo screwed up the entier system,
    including the CPU wich had 2 B rplaced along with the stubborn mobo.
    I had a BIOSTAR mobo myself 2 years ago & i have 2 say it's a horrible peace of hardware.

[This message has been edited by ChenSoft (edited 15 March 2001).]

Comment

Oh God.....
      Well, we did replace the mobo with an other one but also a Biostar....

Damn...
      KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

Condolences 4 the Gold Fish.

Comment

Usually I would simply write this off as purely coincidental problems. However, after hearing of the horrific death of the goldfish, I must say that you have a real problem.

Perhaps it is the Biostar problem. I have heard of similar issues with them.

Personally, though, I would recommend getting as good a cooler as you can get. Maybe it's just me, but good cooling never hurt anything but the pocketbook.

b
          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Have you seen <A HREF="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001344.html">this</A>?

Comment

OK, this is getting silly. The crashing PC had the first edition of Win98 on it (UK version). After trying about a zillion other things, my friend decided to do a format c: once again. This time, however, he used the Dutch version of Win98 SE. Guess what.... everything runs just fine..... Can anyone explain this?

Comment

Computer stain of the mad cow disease.. LOL Sorry couldn't help myself...

------------------
                Hang Low and Limber
                AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

ROTFLMAO
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                  X