No announcement yet.

512 meg RAM still not enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep....I can attest to this. Was playing around with 768 MB ram in WinME, and out of memory problems galore. The only Microsoft solution that worked for me was to "install 512 MB or less" in my computer. No problem.

John

Comment

hello

there are three ways to ease your memory problems -

change your OS

change the way you work.....

change your job!

dont add more memory to a half assed OS like window 9X.... Get NT/win2K/linux

Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Listen to these guys...Win9x/ME system resources are measured in the lower 64K (That's right...64,000Bytes) of system memory.

Ram Defraggers help a little bit, but those take away from the available resources, too.

Cacheman is the best one to use -by far- for swap file and disk cache settings.

ConservativeSwapfile usage is a switch I've had mixed results with: I generally set my Minimal/Maximum disk cache to 20% of my system ram, set the Chunk size to 1 MB, Read ahead to 128KB, and the Name Cache to 4MB.

But you're still trying to patch a dam about to burst, with as many applications as you have running.

Win2K is a MUCH better platform for day-to-day use than Win9x/ME ever thought about. I only reboot/shutdown my Win2K box when a thunderstorm comes around. It never seems to screw up.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

gotta agree whith the multi man!
          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Hi guys I've heard from a few sources - I just wanted to confirm

win 98 can fully address either 128 or 192 megs ram - is this correct? Anything more is a waste or $

How about 95, ME, 2k, and NT4?

Thanks a bunch

Comment

In win9x and winME I would say that anything over 384MB is overkill! 256MB should be enough for everything in win9x and winME!

In w2k I would recomend a minimum of 256MB and at least 512MB if you are doing CAD etc.!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

True 2k with 128megs is breaking the ice - still not enjoyable though!

Thanks Guru!

Other comments welcomed - no offensive Guru

Comment

I think anything over 512 MB for win9x is much more likely to make your situation worse than to make it better

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You just have to love Microsoft's fixes

Surprising that they didn't try pimping Win2k in there either...

P.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                    X