No announcement yet.

Q3 new benchmarks with 5.25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect many of the differences we're setting have little to do with hardware configurations, but can be accounted for, with considerable detective work, with settings deviations. This is why I recommend using the presets (fastest, fast, normal, etc.) and the default game settings (light flares off, vsync off, everything else on). They are easily obtained, easy to return to, and easy to remember. Unless you have modified your config file through the console (I disabled the blue line at the bottom of the screen, as I found it distracting), it'll give everyone a better idea of how we're all doing.

Unavoidable and desirable variables (hardware specs, vanilla or Max or G200, clock speed manipulations, resolution, color depth, etc.) should, of course, be posted. Vsync should always be disabled and the *latest* version of the game should be used.

Everybody has favorite settings for playing and benchmarking, for whatever reasons, and that's great. But as it stands now, as far as our methodology goes, we're having both "validity" and "reliability" issues. We are measuring different things, and we're having problems reproducing results from tester to tester.

The game provides us with a series of preset standards or defaults or whatever you want to call them. If we used them, I believe it would make the task at hand, comparing results, so much easier.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Marmita,

I hate to break it to you but my scores are correct. Im sorry that you find it impossilble that i am reaching these marks. Im not making up these scores...i have better things to do than make up imaginary scores to frustrate people on this forum. I do play in FULL screen size.

------------------
      P3 500(not overclocked)
      128 MB PC100 SDRAM
      SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
      Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
      Diamond MX300 Sound Card
      AOpen 40x CD ROM
      Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
      Motorola Cable Modem
      Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
      17" CRT Monitor
      Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----
      P3 500(not overclocked)
      128 MB PC100 SDRAM
      Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
      Diamond MX300 Sound Card
      AOpen 40x CD ROM
      Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
      Motorola Cable Modem
      17" CRT Monitor

Comment

People do get drastically different results from Q3 on similar hardware, it's because Q3 has so many options that can have a great effect on performance. If you are going to compare results make sure you are using EXACTLY the same settings as the other person, don't just say their resutls are impossible because they don't match yours.

Comment

CoolBreeze... COOL DOWN ! I didn't say nor think u were making up the scores I said its impossible that u got them with the same setting... what are ur 3DMark99 Max scores ???

what I said is that ur settings r wrong... I don't know where they are wrong but its a fact that all the people here (not only in this thread I saw ur results in other threads too) r getting lower result with faster hardware then u...

try mybe to delete the config file and run a demo WITHOUT changing anything and post ur result then.. That must give us exactly the same settings... I even downclocked my p3 back to 500 to see mybe running the g400 out of spec wasn't a good idea... but nothing ! I can't get even near ur scores so something is different in the settings..

do u have any other explaination ?!?!

Comment

Why are ur r talking like this? It makes you sound like you're 8 years old! Get a grip man...
            Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

what do u want ??? I am just trying to figure out how to get these scores ! where the hell did u come from telling me that I sound like an 8 year old, I can be ur father!

and run a spell check before u post a message...

Comment

P3 450 @ 558
                9.1 WD Expert HDD
                128 Mb CAS3 PC100
                Asus P3BF MoBo
                G400 SH 32 Mb - 150/200 w/ MGA Tweak

PD 5.25 drivers & beta ICD - forced AGP 1x

Q3 1.08 Demo 1 - 45.1 fps

The only change I made was to set the resolution @ 1024 x 768.

Later - Labman

[This message has been edited by Labman (edited 09-13-1999).]

Comment

I think I figured out why the large dfferences if frames per second with some people's systems. When the Q3 timedemo finishes it and you pull up the console it displays three different numbers. The one in the middle is the seconds it takes to complete the time demo. This is usually around 39.5-43 on fast systems using the settings I originally posted. The actual Frames Per Second is displayed furthest to the right. It's a lower number than the middle number and it has a small "fps" next to it. Maybe I'm way off base but I'm sure someone will correct me

Comment

See....Labman is getting about the same scores as i am. Marmita... i wasnt getting angry...you took my post the wrong way. I was just trying to say that my results were possible as you can see from Labman's results. I have 3DMark99 Max...I dont have the Pro version so i could only test it at 800x600x16...and my 3D Marks where 4950...and i checked out a global comparison on their site and these marks were above average...the highest recorded mark with a similar rig was around 5100 i believe. And i think i was like 100-200 or so marks over their average score. I ran 3D Marks with my G400 @148.50/198...

------------------
                    P3 500(not overclocked)
                    128 MB PC100 SDRAM
                    Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
                    Diamond MX300 Sound Card
                    AOpen 40x CD ROM
                    Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
                    Motorola Cable Modem
                    17" CRT Monitor

P3 500(not overclocked)
                    128 MB PC100 SDRAM
                    Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
                    Diamond MX300 Sound Card
                    AOpen 40x CD ROM
                    Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
                    Motorola Cable Modem
                    17" CRT Monitor

Comment

Abit BX6 2.0.
                      C366@568
                      128MB PC133
                      7200rpm HD

Vanilla G400DH
                      160/200 core/mem
                      5.25 with beta ICD

Q3test 1.08
                      Q3demo1 map
                      High quality - Resolution notched up to 1024x768.
                      Game options at default

34.4fps

Q3demo2

35.1fps

Comment

Listen this is VERY weird... I get 3DMark99 MAX (not Pro either) 5899 3DMark and 9066 CPUMark99 when my 500 is overclocked to 575 and my G400 is overclocked to 150/200...
                        and about labman... how can u know ??? he didn't post any settings... i can get over 60fps if i turn lightmap to vertex... So like ant said it's all in the settings we sould find a why a reset the settings. I suggested deleting the config file, not changing anything in the setup and run quake3 (or we can change only the resolution). that will give us accurate results.

Comment

I get the same :
                          High quality with 1024x768:
                          demo1: 34.6

but with a p3-500 (not o/c for now) and my G400 is only clocked at 150/200...

Comment

1024x768 - 32 bit, normal settings, sound enabled, Vsync disabled, goofy blue line disabled because I can't remember how to re-enable it, three attempts.

Demo 1: 34.6, 34.8, 34.8 fps

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

G400 Max Vanilla (@spec), PD ver. 5.25 w/Rainbow Runner
                            PIII 500 MHz (@spec)
                            384 Mb RAM
                            AOpen AX6BC Motherboard
                            Turtle Beach Montego Xtreme
                            3Comm PCI NIC
                            Plextor 32 SCSI CD-ROM
                            Plextor 4/12x CDR
                            Toshiba 4.8x DVD
                            2x IBM U2W 7200 rpm hard drives
                            1x WD Enterprise UW 5400 hard driver
                            8x maids a milking
                            7x swans a swimming
                            6x geese a laying

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 09-14-1999).]

Comment

1024x768 - 32 bit, High Quality and everything that comes with it, sound enabled, Vsync disabled, goofy blue line disabled because I can't remember how to re-enable it.

Demo 1: 28.3 fps

It appears overclocking the G400 brings good good things to the Q3test, because you guys are kicking my butt.

Paul
                              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ok... I'm going to avoid the flak and still give some results.

1024x768, 32bit color, bi-linear, 16-bit tex, other settings on Max, 200MHz mem/150MHz core on a C577.

Q3demo1 - 44.1 (Beta ICD)
                                Q3demo1 - 42.3 (older ICD)

Almost 2 fps improvement isn't too bad, but I was expecting more. Damn, I'm greedy.

Comment

Working...
                                X