Hurricane Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Floyd

Perhaps hurricanes would be taken more seriously if they had tougher names. Hurricane Floyd? Geez. How about hurricane Goober next?

We need a hurricane Biff, maybe a hurricane Conan.. What if we named a hurricane for the Thunder God himself? I for one would certainly flee in the face of hurricane Thor!

------------------
    Kind Regards,

KvH

People living in Florida are not suggested to read the following joke

It's like with naming computer viruses: they don't want them to be cool so that they wouldn't encourage to create more of them.
    Maybe they are afraid of markets filling up with new hurricanes after Thor smashed up half of east coast.

_
    B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 09-15-1999).]

Comment

Florida has lucked out on this one. Floyd is on a collision course for south carolina. There are 52 foot seas off the florida coast right now.

Comment

check out this...
        Nasa Image

Comment

52 feet? That's one hell of a surf...
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Can't seem to get there.
            http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEAWIFS...HUSF.Floyd.jpg

is very good, albeit about 12 hours old now.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

What about a sponsored hurricane next?? Hurricane Matrox... hmmmm

Jorden
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Let's name them after long dead graphics cards, like Dynamite, Terminator, Banshee, Voodoo3, etc...
                P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

You have to let that site load its pretty intense.....

Comment

Gert is category 3 at the moment, so don't sweat... plus it's heading to the NorthWest allready... maybe Floyd and Gert will collide somewhere... I just hope it won't be over NYC!!!!

Jord
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

It was upgraded to category 4 a couple of hours ago

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Langley AFB (in Virginia) finished sandbagging all the buildings this morning, and sent us home at noon. They don't want us to come back in until Friday. Most of the bases 1st floors and 1 story buildings are expected to be flooded, due to storm surge. Also, many streets in the area near the base (downtown Hampton VA and Newport News VA) are already flooding.

Fortunately for us, we bought a house about 15 miles north of the base- on some of the highest ground on the Virginia Peninsula- so flooding won't become a problem for us, not even with a Cat5 hurricane. Still leaves the wind and rain, power outages, etc., though.

Have fun in your hurricane free areas.

------------------
                        Ace
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Its going to eat us alive here in NC.

At least I have a battery backup won't last but 5 minutes though :/

Comment

Anand is dead center of the predicted path. Let's all wish him well. If he doesn't post anything for a few days, don't be surprised. He's inland a bit, so he won't get the worst, but winds could easily reach 100 mph in his part of North Carolina.
                            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I'm going to a "back to school night" for my 7yr old tommorow night in NJ !

Comment

Working...
                              X