Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 only AGP 4x compatible but can not run at AGP 4X speed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marmita: what exactly was that run-on? It seemed like it was informative, but shrouded in a mystery of nonpunctuation.

LrngToFly: Er, Intel is going to release the chipset then. That has no bearing on reality, or when production motherboards will be on the market. If you think you'll be able to get a Camino motherboard next Monday, you're wacky.

------------------
    Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
    Asus P2B 1010 - P3-500 - And a G400Max now.
    256MB 6NS 70 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

This is a spunky tagline.
    Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
    Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
    1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
    200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
    Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
    768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Ami.... my angel... ... thank you.

-----------------
      Holly
      Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
      -Jay Bulworth

Comment

in other words...
        don't ask to borrow the car from mommy until you get you're license
        jim
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

motub also writes:

Giant Intel is continuing to have problems with the introduction of a somewhat mundane product that enables the main processor work with the rest of the computer.

Next Monday, Intel will debut its 820 chipset, but the advanced set of ancillary processors has been resisted by PC manufacturers. The 820 utilizes a new memory technology called Rambus, but PC makers so far prefer the established standard, synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM), which is cheaper.

Analysts say that the 820 is facing limited demand, and at least one asserts that Intel has reduced its production plans.
          http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200...003-200-121979

My g*d, LrngToFly, at least keep up with the news! or head over to the shallow end and impress the toddlers...!

Geez.

---------------------------
          Holly
          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I luv it when u talk technical
            jim
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Forget 4x and forget Camino. Intel is going to piss off alot of people when they release Carmel right after Camino with an AGP2 slot.

SwAmPy

Comment

I am using VIA Apollo 694 ChipSet Mobo(like i820 support AGP 4X mode transfer) for the testing. The AGP slot AGP Universal Slot. It support 1x, 2x and 4x mode.

I have test other display cards :

1. Diamond Viper V770 : 4X mode support 1X, 2X transfer mode support, running at 2X mode

2. Creative Lab TNT2 Value : 4X mode support 1X, 2X transfer mode support, runing at 2X mode

3. Elsa ErazerIII TNT2 : 4X mode support 1X, 2X, 4X transfer mode suport, running at 4X mode

4. Diamond Stealth III(S3 S4pro) : 4X mode support 1X, 2X, 4X transfer mode support, running at 4X mode

5. 3DLabs Permedia 3 : 4Xmode support, support 1X, 2X transfer mode, running at 1X mode

6. Matrox G400Max(my card) : 4X mode support 1X, 2X transfer mode, running at 1X mode

The meaning of support 4X mode is : Can boot up windows9X and pass 3DMark testing when enable 4X mode support enable at BIOS.

The conclusion is :
                TNT2 support 4X mode , only run at 2X transfer mode

TNT2 Ultra support 4X mode , can run at 4X transfer mode

Savage 4 Pro support 4X mode, can run at 4X transfer mode

Premedia 3 support 4X mode, only run at 1X transfer mode

G400 support 4X mode, support 2X mode transfer 2X mode, but my card only run at 1X transfer mode if forced to 2X will crush up. But I like to use G400

Hmmm Will Matrox enabled the 4X transfer mode and fiex my 1X transfer mode at next BIOS Update ?

Is that all of you can run your Max at 2x transfer mode without out problem ?

[This message has been edited by Javert (edited 09-23-1999).]
                P!!! 450 OC To 495. ASUS P2B V1.1, PC-133 256MB RAM. Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller, IBM 9.1GB(2Mb Cache) LVD SCSI HardDisk X 2. Panasonic 20R,8W CD-R, Sony 5X ATAPI-DVD Rom, 3M LS-120 ATAPI-Floppy, Diamond Monster Sound Mx300 with four speaker, And My Matrox G400MAX

Comment

G400 Max 2X no problems (pcilist says 2X and tops out at 2X)

TNT2 Ultra 2X (pcilist says 2X and tops out at 4X)

Of cource no 4X mobo/chipset to test with here

So I guess Max can only run at 2X but will fit in 4X mobo, and TNT2 Ultra can run at 4X but won't fit in 4X mobo. Can't win for loosing.

Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

PurpleHaze: What I ment is that the faster the agp goes it's less important how much memory u have on the graphic chip... the smartest way to go is to have one memory storage that any part in the computer can use...
                    lets look at the future for a moment:
                    Lets say you have a x8 agp with 512mb ram and 512mb memory on the 3D card.. so you have 1Gig of memory to use when you are running lets say Quake5... thats very good, but the problem is that the 512mb that you have on the graphic card are dedicated to it only.. no other part of ur computer can use it and I think it's quite a waste. a better solution is 1Gig of ram that the card can access at x8 AGP speed and a little amount of memory as a "Texture cache" that will be places on the card itself. The same thing goes for sound cards but the amount of memory needed for it are much smaller... In the long run AGP (or alike architectures) is the way to go and splitting the memory between the computer cards is a big waste, we are paying good money this memory.

Comment

Marmita only one part of the pc can use that memory at a time. If two parts want to access it at the same time, one will have to wait. The result is a much slower pc.

Comment

Working...
                      X