No announcement yet.

G400 and A3D 2.0 will not work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The COM1 and COM2 and LPT1 that are listed under the IRQs shown are when they are enabled. When they are disabled. it is just blank no IRQ for those numbers.

Yeah, I don't have any EIDE drives. So I disabled the EIDE ports in the bios. They are disabled.

I think I am going to get rid of my SCSI and just use Ultra DMA... I'm just wondering if it is the SCSI that is playing havoc with the soundchipset..

The kicker is that yesterday. I installed the drivers for the sound card. it recognized it as the 8830. I was able to mess around with the A3D demos and hear sound and everything. It is when I rebooted after installing the drivers and playing around with the demos is when it crashed..

Comment

God, I hope this is a new system and you haven't installed all sorts of software.

You should disable USB in both your BIOS and Windows Device Manager. Just uncheck the "exists in all hardware profiles" box.

I've never seen a soundcard on IRQ 14. And, after you deleted Multimedia Device from device manager, I don't know why Windows doesn't just try to reinstall it.

Maybe after you reinstall, Windows, in its infinite wisdom, will arrange your IRQ's in a more rational way.

In any case, after the reinstall, but before you install the soundboard drivers, disable the stuff you don't intend to use, both in the BIOS, if that option is available to you, and in Windows. This way, you'll have IRQ resources available for your soundboard when you do install the drivers.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

O.k. This is so ****ed up. I do not know why it is working now. I followed that The PIT's advice and went straight to my REG EDIT. I found "Aureal" and just deleted that whole folder... I rebooted and went to the bios and disabled the COM2 and LPT1, USB IRQ in the Bios is disabled.

Then I proceeded on with the boot up of the computer. It found the Multimedia Device Aureal 8830 sound chip and I installed the drivers for it, like I did millions of times. It proceeded booting up to the desktop. I am like o.k. it did this before.. I got the sound again. But it is when i reboot it messes up...

So I tried rebooting.. went through all that bios bootup crap. But I noticed this again, i got the Sound blaster error saying it can't load the stupid thing in the autoexec.bat. o.k. no biggie.. it continue on to load. I was waiting for the desktop screen with the explorer error like I did before get.. But for some ****ed up reason. It booted fine..

I thought it was a fluke and played some .mpg's it played sound... O.k. So I rebooted again. it did the same but minus the DOS thing in the bios, because I deleted it in the autoexec.bat. It went to the desktop again fine...

So my question is. What did I do differently ????????????

To my knowledge nothing. but delete the Aureal from the reg edit...

Comment

How long have you spent on it, if it's been a while, then consider reinstalling Windows. As a habit I keep several sys partition backups (<100MB each for 512MB). ZPart is a good program (free), but I'm been using Ghost since it came with my new motherboard. As a general rule, try to let Windows (MS) have it's own way as much as possible, and try to get it to do as little as possible as well, anything else is just asking for trouble.

Sounds like your Windows install is foobared anyway, it's probably about that time for a reinstall. Could get a sizeable speed up from doing that as well. Of course you can always continue trying to fix your config as is, but tracking down this kind of problem is generally more trouble than it's worth, certainly not worth trying to save the 10 minutes reinstalling Win95, the 30 minutes for Win98, or the 2 hours for Win2k, er, well...

Using a K6-3 450 system with a G400 and MX300.

[This message has been edited by Himself (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

You know, it wouldn't take 2 hours to install W2K if you didn't have to install half of it off floppy disks. ("Oh look! The RAID controller drivers are installing. And the firewire drivers. And drivers for every SCSI device on the planet... ")

That's a new fangled Asus motherboard. I think SaltedPeanut has just built his system and may have only recently installed Windows 98. Either that or he replaced his motherboard and, I think, that calls for a fresh install.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

SaltedPeanut, instead of deleting the two lines for Soundblaster emulation, rem them out. That is, type the word "rem" (without the quotes) and a space before the appropriate lines in the autoexec.bat file.

They'll show up during the boot sequence with the word rem, just as you typed it, you won't get the error message, and DOS will ignore them.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

sorry .. reading on and off and missed that part.... Clearing CMOS did not help?

Comment

The SoundBlaster DOS Emulation problem is actually a known issue with Aureal; I checked yesterday. In some cases, it's necessary to completely disable that line in Autoexec in order for the system to boot normally; the IRQ and memory grabbed by emulation apparently require Windows to juggle resources now and then, and some systems just can't handle it.

It sounds to me like this was your problem.

Comment

Well if it works now don't worry about it. Unless your running dos games you don't need those soundblaster lines in autoexec.bat.
                    If you do run dos games you can either make a menu when you boot up or make a special config in windows 98 for them.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X