Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Win2K (5.03.25) drivers out go get'em :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a dual processor problem to me. Most people with single processor machines aren't having problems. Anyone have any idea why the second processor is causing problems? Is it an incompatibility with the dual processor kernal/HAL? Has anyone contacted Matrox yet? I would but every time I try I never get a response. It seems like a waste of my time...I'm just waiting for that nvidia NV15 to come out...

Comment

I found a solution to that problem.

Setting the AGP appareture to 4 mb fixes the problem.

no more freezing in D3D games with BUS Mastering on.

I still wish they fix it, its weird stuff though.

------------------
      ---------------------------
      bp6-(2)366@523 celerons, g400 DH 32mb, Quantum plus KA 9.1g, sb-live value, Optiquest V95 19", Toshiba DVD 6x, HP i8100 cd-r, etc ...
      ---------------------------
      bp6-(2)366@533 celerons, g400 DH 32mb Vanilla, Quantum plus KA 9.1g, sb-live value, Optiquest V95 19", Toshiba DVD 6x, HP i8100 cd-r, etc ...

Comment

Hmm, I wish I could set my AGP aperature size (damn Intel board). Any other solutions? Also, has anyone had problems with LX chipset boards?

Comment

Most LX chipset based-boards don't supply sufficient current to the AGP slot to run modern high performance AGP cards stabily.

Rags

Comment

Hi all,

just installed the new drivers, everything seems to be ok...my #2 processor still stays at approx. 40%. i noted that during setup that win2k said that they weren't "digitally" signed...does that mean that these drivers aren't WHQL certified??. not that it matters...Quake 3 and Unreal both run fine.

Platform Configuration:

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Viewsonic flat panel display model VP150.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

chucky

Comment

The 40% usage thing is a BIOS issue, you will need to sort it out with your MB manufacturer, or revert back to the standard MPS HAL, not the ACPI one. Also disable ACPI in your BIOS.

No these drivers are not certified.

Paul

Comment

PaulS

i am running the MPS hal. i do have a question about acpi...my bios is the latest one(9-23-99) and i have the gx chipset, it has an option called "acpi aware os" yes/no. is this the same as a full implementation of acpi or are they one in the same??.

when i'm in windows 98, device manager tells me that i have the "82371 power management controller"...win2k has nothing about a power management controller in it's device tree under system devices...should i add it(or try anyways!)

chucky

...never mind, i just tried it and it had no effect...except that it somehow screwed my mouse up!! i can't tell win2k that i have an intellimouse explorer anymore and i can't get full acceleration(..very anoying). i'm booting back into win98 till tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 25 February 2000).]

Comment

rags,

Never had problems with the G400 stability in NT4 or 98 on my LX board (DK440LX). I guess it's still a Win2k/SMP problem...

Comment

I would like to put a 100hz refresh rate when i'm using my 1280x1024 desktop, how can i do that ????
                    Same question for the others settings.

Thanks you.

Olivier.

Comment

Do HotKeys work correctly now in Dual Monitor mode? Particularly CENTERWindow?
                      =========================
                      <font size="1">ABIT VP6, Dual PIII 1.0Ghz's | 768 MB of Kingston RAM |
                      Dual IBM C-71 17" monitors | Matrox G400Max | Seagate Cheetah 10k 9.1gb SCSI U2W drive | Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller | Maxtor 60 GB and 80GB 7.2k IDE drives | Plextor Ultraplex 40max SCSI CD player
                      and Plexwriter 24/10/40a writer | Seagate Scorpion SCSI DAT drive | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | LinkSys NIC | <a href="http://lianli.com/11302001jcL_pc_case/jclpccase/jclpccase/pc70.html">Lian Lee PC-70USB Aluminum Tower </a> with 430 watt power supply
                      | assorted external SCSI and USB stuff | WinXP Pro</font></font>

Comment

Yes, Matrox does have multiprocessor machines. AFAIK though, Quake III does not run on our ICD with r_smp set to 1. Those having problems with Q3 smp off, please give details on your system and HAL, and maybe the problems will eventually be fixed.

Comment

Chucky, nice MB, if you had the slots you could pop a couple more processors on to that chipset!

The ACPI option in your BIOS is mainly a flag that the OS reads to decide whether or not the BIOS will allow it to fiddle around with resource and power configuration. If the OS isn't using ACPI, then it probably doesn't matter much what it set here, but I would keep it as non-aware just in case.

The problem you're having seems to be pretty common, I'm sure your M/B manufacturer is well aware of the situation, and probably has a solution. Hope you don't have to send it back for a factory mod.

Paul

[This message has been edited by PaulS (edited 25 February 2000).]

Comment

Pauls

bought the win2k resource kit and did a fresh install today, everything is running really fast now. i also installed the support tools on the win2k cd. there is a nice utility called "apmstat.exe", i ran it and it says "This is a multiprocessor machine, apm does not work on mp machines, at all".

since i'm in a dual boot with win98 i'm going to leave it on in the bios, i'm not seeing any problems yet and i installed a lot of software today...mostly msft apps!

plus the hibernate feature works, but i turned it back off so i could reclaim the 512 mb of disk space that it wanted to take. win2k powers down my scsi drives and my monitor perfectly...i'm happy

just a side note, i did not install that sblive software from dell...a lot of wierd problems started creeping in when i installed them..like locking up on shutdown and a faint ticking in audio playback

chucky

Comment

so...

i've got the standard issue celery 300A@464 on a bh6 with 128 megs of pc100 and a g400 max.

back on 98se, my 3dmark2000 score was about 1650. I installed W2K right over the new year, installed the 5.00beta g400 drivers, and POW! my 3dmark score falls to about 1450. This, of course, was completely understandable. Nothing was optimized for W2K, the drivers were beta, and w2k fault tolerance code tends to steal a few CPU cycles. (not that it steals very many--ray tracing is almost always faster on NT x.xx then on windows 9x).

A while later, i see the 5.01 beta drivers and download them, hoping for improvement. Quite the opposite happens: my 3dmark score falls to 1434.

OK, still a beta--i can live with this...

But then, today get the 5.03 non-beta drivers, fire up 3dmark, and my score drops to 1371. Something is wrong here. 1650->1371??? i've got friends with the same configuration, but a tnt-ONE, who get almost 1500 on 98se.

I'm not claiming 3dmark is a great benchmark, but, on the other hand, its not fully synthetic--thats an actual game engine, albeit not an engine that's actually used--it sure is pretty though.

But something is wrong the way the score is progressing so far downward as the PD version number goes up.

What gives?

Comment

ok, RanDob. i'll be the first to go.

i can play D3D games with bus mastering off (they'll hang if i turn it on)

and for Q3A(no smp on), if i turn bus mastering on and 256M agp aperture, i can go in and play for like 3 min before it hangs, if i turn bus mastering off, and go in.. it'll start displaying garbage and hangs.

interesting, if i turn bus mastering on, win2k stutters sometimes while on desktop.
                                on the contrary, if i turn bus mastering off, my computer feels smoother.

my system consists of the following:

Abit BP6 with dual celeron 433
                                Micron 256MB ram
                                Matrox G400 Max
                                SB-Live value
                                Diamond Fireport 40 scsi card
                                IBM 9.1G hd
                                pci and isa nic card both 10base-T
                                Plextor 32x cd-rom
                                Yamaha 4260(i think) cdrw
                                Supermicro casing with 300watt ps

IRQ Number Device

1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
                                4 Communications Port (COM1)
                                5 NE2000 Compatible
                                6 Standard floppy disk controller
                                8 System CMOS/real time clock
                                9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
                                12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
                                13 Numeric data processor
                                16 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
                                17 Diamond Multimedia Systems SCSI Host Adapter
                                19 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                                19 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
                                19 Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Adapter

hope this helps.

------------------
                                Glarec
                                ------
                                bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Glarec
                                ------
                                bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X