No announcement yet.

G400 VS Creative Geforce DDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Unreal Tournament is a strange beast when it comes to framerate. On my system with my G400 @ MAX speed, sometimes my average is around 55fps, sometimes it's around 35fps.....it's quite odd.

The main point though is that it's smooth. To be honest, the UT engine likes to hover around 30-37fps, no matter your video card. It's an odd bird but it's very smooth at those speeds.

Sure, a Geforce DDR will be faster. It will be more expensive as well. My parents have a TNT2 which O/C's to Ultra speeds easily, and for less than $100 it's a bargain and it's darned fast. I like it, I like my G400, I like the Geforce.

G400 wins me over for its image quality which is distinctly superior, if only slightly. I love the control of powerdesk, these forums, and the Matrox/MURC people in general. I doubt there is another forum like this anywhere, or another MURC, that can compare.

------------------
    ABIT BF6, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 630MHz, 192MB PC100 SDRAM @ 140MHz, Toshiba 6X DVD,
    Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
    Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
    Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:06.

Comment

I'm not sure it's a good time you spend close to $300.00 on a GeForce DDR, as fast as it is. Not when nVidia is on the verge of announcing two new boards, 3dfx has announced a couple of boards in God knows how many configurations, and Matrox has something up their sleeves.

If you really want a GeForce, just wait a little while. It'll be a lot cheaper after the dust settles a bit. If you really want to spend $300.00, you could wait a bit and get a faster board with better features.

My fondness for Matrox aside, I think the TNT genuinely brought something interesting to the table. The TNT2 Ultra was an improvement on that technology. I just can't help but get the feeling the GeForce is a big, expensive beta test, and the NV15 will be everything the GeForce was supposed to be with fewer power-related issues. Maybe we'll even discover a use for T&L before it's time to upgrade again.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

It's a never ending beta test actually, especially when it comes to drivers.

Comment

Working...
        X