Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garbage on the screen and computer hangs with g400.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D'oh! Should read better next time... point taken

Z

Comment

I have the same problem. I removed all cards except G400. No IRQ for USB, COM1/2, LPT (all are disabled). No IRQ problems at all. But sometimes i get these nice color horizontal lines all over the screen and system hangs. It happends after few seconds of using system or after hours of work. I plug in an old Riva TNT based card and there were NO lines. What is going on???
      I've noticed that most of posters are using asus p3bf mobo, and so I am.
      My system: p3bf mobo, celeron400, 64mb ram, hdd segate 13gb, sb live! mp3 (the same lines were with Diamond's mx300).
      I'm using Win98SE, latest G400 drivers (not beta), latest p3bf bios.
      My desktop res is 800x600, 16bpp, standard powerdesk settings.
      Ah, AGP was set to 1x and 2/3x with no influence on showing of these &!$@#^& lines. And it happends when I overclock my cel400 to 500, 450 or without any overclocking.
      Is it problem of mobo bios or what?????

------------------

Ovidius
      Ovidius

Comment

Try re-installing Directx. With the 5.41 drivers I had corrupted icons until I did this.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've tried it. Nothing changed.
          Ovidius

Comment

Hi!

I have all those problems people mentioned above... when using any 3d game I get lockups, restarts, green grbage/lines, or sometimes the game just quits with no reason.

I have the 5.52 drivers (g400 DH 32mb) on a P2 233, overclocked to 266 (I tried to downclcok - nothing.) 64mb ram. I think I have AGPx1.. not sure thou.

here's my irq listing:

00 system timer
            01 standard 101/102 key or MS keyboard
            02 programmable interrupt controller
            03 com port (com2)
            04 com port (com1)
            06 floppy disk controller
            07 creative sb 16 or awe-32
            08 system coms/realtime clock
            09 realtek rtl8029 ethernet adapter and compatibles
            09 irq holder for pci steering
            10 v.90 k56flex hsp pci modem
            10 irq holder for pci steering
            10 matrox millenium g400 dualhead - english
            10 irq holder for pci steering
            11 intel 82371AB/EB PCI to usb univerasl host controller
            11 irq holder for pci steering
            12 printer port (lpt1)
            13 numeric data proccessor
            14 intel 82371AB/EB pci bus master ide controller
            14 primary ide controller (dual fifo)
            15 intel 82371AB/EB pci bus master ide controller
            15 secondary ide controller (dual fifo)

and here are the slots:
            AGP - g400
            PCI - modem
            pci - empty
            pci - ethernet network card
            isa - sb 16
            isa - empty

I believe that's all. for now

LLL

Comment

Hate to say it, but my problems are back.

Again the same garbage =(.

It is strange and seems to come out accidently.

Comment

damn
                I removed both my modem and my ethernet card, so I only had two cards - the g400 and the SB16 (isa). and guess what?
                yap. nothing changed. still have lockups and all that...

Comment

Well,
                  I ought to chime in here. I've had similar problems since day one with my current machine:

MSI 6167, G400, SBLive, 3COM NIC.
                  I've finally managed to get my G400 on IRQ 12 (alone) but my SB Live and NIC share an IRQ. My problems now happen LESS frequently than they use to, but I still get the green garbage screens randomly, and lockups when starting 3D apps (games).

I've replaced my power supply, used two different (brands) sticks of RAM, and tried many driver configurations, as well as a complete reinstall of Win98SE.

I was told that bus mastering should work on IRQ12. Is that true? Or should I turn it off? Does anyone have ANY ideas? Thanks.

-Brian

Comment

A friend of mine with a G400Max on an Asus P2B-F had this problem. We never could figure it out. It never happened when the computer was at his home, only when we took it to school to hook it up on the lan. But we do this all the time and we only had two days when this happened so I didn't think it was the NIC. Both times we had to give up because it we couldn't get it to work. He hasn't changed any hardware in his computer and we haven't had this problem since December. I was thinking it was a power problem. So... do any of you with this problem have a UPS?

Comment

I don't have a UPS, but on the advice of many people at AMD Zone and elsewhere, I'm using an Antec PP303X power supply. Most people seemed to think it was some kind of IRQ related problem, but I'm still not sure. I know that the Athlon motherboards are fussy about memory, and I'm wondering if I just got unlucky with both my original (generic) PC100, and the replacement (also generic) stick they sent me when I called and said it might be problem. (The system manufacturer, that is.)

-Brian

Comment

Wow. This thread keeps comming back. I remember posting a thread like this months ago. Computer locks with lovely colored lines on the screen, usually just after startup and may happen several times in a row (only on cold boots). I know the problem, I did just about everything to solve it and I must have fought for over a month until...a hardware upgrade.

I changed computer cases, and with the new case a 300w power supply. Problem gone. Never once has the computer hung up with colored lines since the upgrade.

I can't say for certain that changing power supplies will help you, but it did for me. Now you can keep trying to resolve the problem, but I did almost every posible to try to resolve it including everything mentioned above and whole lot more (including reloading windows fresh, swapping around cards, memory sticks, driver installs etc etc etc).

I swapped computer cases just to have a full tower case, not to resolve any problems. It just so happened that the multi-color hang-ups went away.

Anyway, good luck.
                        xippo

Comment

Working...
                        X