winME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winME

I've been working with winME for a few days, and no probs what so ever.
    The G400 drv work perferctly, but my miro PCTV cause to self reboot.
    The SBlive liveware3 works great, not as some told me in the foruns.
    The winME is a win98 with win2k face.... it could be better. Oh, they "forgot" to put directX 8 as they told....

Maybe the "official" release has it

Now for serious, how about stability compared with win98? Like in BSODĀ“s per day?

Comment

On my P3BF system with a SB live, I have boot up issues right when the sound card drivers load. When they load I hear the crackle through the speakers, but then the system just hangs. I reboot and can (CLT_ALT_DEL) - go into safe mode. Restart the computer again and then eveything goes good (I can get into Windows ME) till I do a restart or cold boot of the system. This is with the May relase of the drivers. I will try backreving the SB live drivers shortly and see if this helps.

Comment

On my P3BF system with a SB live, I have boot up issues right when the sound card drivers load. When they load I hear the crackle through the speakers, but then the system just hangs. I reboot and can (CLT_ALT_DEL) - go into safe mode. Restart the computer again and then eveything goes good (I can get into Windows ME) till I do a restart or cold boot of the system. This is with the May relase of the drivers. I will try backreving the SB live drivers shortly and see if this helps.

Comment

In my system, after removing miroPCTV every thing perfect. No crash what so ever....
          My system
          abit bh6 v1.1 latest bios, cel 433 @ 508(6.6x78), 128 Mb pc100, livevalue,...
          ask me more. matrox is a 100% stable. winME is just a win98 with a win2k face...
          And it consumes 50Mb memory to be runing. 64mb is just not enaught. Does anyone knows a spot to download drv to millenuim for miropctv? Where are you from NUNO?

Comment

Portugal.

Tu tambƩm?

Comment

I've got a theoretical question -
              Is it true WinME doesn't allow booting to a clean command-line, or the creation of a dos boot disk? If so, then how could a user with only WinME installed flash their motherboard's bios?

Comment

If you need to update your bios. Keep a Win98 boot disk handy. I habve been running Windows ME since beta 2 and have had no real difficulties other then MDK2 refusing to run because of a bug in imagehlp.dll. Microsoft are looking into a fix for it as part of the first online update. My games have run consistently faster under ME then 98, and the improved TCP/IP stack makes my DSL fast as hell. I like it and will not go back to either Windows 2000 or WIndows 98.
                PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

If you need to update your bios. Keep a Win98 boot disk handy. I habve been running Windows ME since beta 2 and have had no real difficulties other then MDK2 refusing to run because of a bug in imagehlp.dll. Microsoft are looking into a fix for it as part of the first online update. My games have run consistently faster under ME then 98, and the improved TCP/IP stack makes my DSL fast as hell. I like it and will not go back to either Windows 2000 or WIndows 98.
                  PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

True you can't make a boot disk from the command line. However you can make a emergency disk. If you then want to flash the bios you'll have to delete some files from it.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/11599.html

Comment

Thank you! That puts my fevered mind at ease a little.
                        Mind you, I'm not sure If I'll rush out to buy it when it hits the shops, I'd rather wait for Windows "Advanced Revised Special Edition"....that's Windows ARSE to you.

Comment

I'll wait for Windows "Advanced Bloated Useless Special Edition"
                          That's Windows .....uhm something.
                          P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                          Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Will there be a "Small Enterprise Limited Functionality" version of that...?

Comment

This has been mentioned before but i will say it for the record:

Windows ME will NOT ship with DirectX 8.

Microsoft never intended to have it ship with DirectX 8, and none of the offical documents have ever said it will have DirectX 8.

-Luke
                              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                              X