No announcement yet.

Abit be6-II, Matrox g400 Max and games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, When I install win2000 first, I have the option of formating all the drives to be the primary drive. Should I do that or should Ionly have one primary drive and the others extended?

Comment

Hey, here's an idea - ditch Win98 entirely. Solves your problem, don't it?

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason to use Win98 at this point, except maybe A3D audio on DVD's - but I have a home theater so it's kinda moot.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I want to get read of win98, but I can not since win2000 does not support my creative PC-DVD(no win200 drivers either) and many of the games I have does not work in win2000 on in win98.

Comment

Sedka on your question about what windoze 98 would see with ntfs installed for win2k your quite correct for the drive assignments.
          No programs when your running 98 will write to the w2k partition becuase the win 98 wouldn't be able to see it.
          Looking at all the stuff you've got in your machine you may have to do the card shuffle to get everything happy. I had do it with my system. I think these maybe your problem.
          If your going to do a clean install what I would suggest is taking everything out bar the g400 and see if it runs stable in that sitution. If it does add the hardware back one by one checking that everything is stable after each install. Also when you take everything out reset your pnp re-configuration data.
          You could do this now before reloading however there maybe some clutter loaded in your os thats causing the problem.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I believe that you can use the Hollywood+ drivers for your Creative DVD card in Win2k with quite good results.

There, that's your excuse all gone. Now go get 'em!

(You can get specific instructions on the driver swap by logging into the creative labs newsgroups on USENET.)

- Gurm

------------------
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm:
              I believe that you can use the Hollywood+ drivers for your Creative DVD card in Win2k with quite good results.

There, that's your excuse all gone. Now go get 'em!

(You can get specific instructions on the driver swap by logging into the creative labs newsgroups on USENET.)

- Gurm

I just realized that you're talking about a DVD _DRIVE_. In this case, you REALLY don't have an excuse, since you don't need "drivers" for your DVD drive under Win2k. It just works.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

My DVD uses a decoder card and the drivers that comes with the CD does not work in win2k. Is there software that will allow me to use my DVD? i think I have a creative Encore 5x Dxr2 my DVD drive says 6x but the sofware that came with it has a 5x picture when i install it in win98.

Comment

before going to all the effort of a reinstall, why not just clock down to 100Mhz again, and set your AGP divider to 1/1?

If you have problems there then your G400 cant handle 100Mhz, if your mobo lets you set a FSB closer to 89Mhz then try that.

If at those settings you dont have any problems, then its your Mobo thats faulty.

This is providing your power supply, RAM and CPU are all ok (which they probably are, because they are all within spec).

I run my P3 750 at 133Mhz (1Gig) on a BX board with not many problems (every now and again it fries the bios, but I have a recovery disk that sits in the a: drive all the time, and its nice and easy to stick an old ISA vid card in to boot).

Its not a set up problem, you proved that by clocking down to 120Mhz and not having any problems. That means IT CANT BE A SOFTWARE PROBLEM. There is no point reinstalling!

At 133Mhz FSB the BX will use a 1/4 divider for the PCI bus, so all your PCI cards should be in spec. I assume the highpoint runs through a PCI controller.

Also, the older Abit mobos had problems with what Dimm slot you put your RAM in, try moving it to another one.

Ali

Comment

Yeah, the DXR2 definitely works with Hollywood+ drivers under Win2k. I'd just switch if I were you. Heh. Of course, that's me playing devil's advocate.

There are NUMEROUS issues with BE6's of various types. Have you doublechecked the ABIT forums and whatnot to make sure you don't have one of those problems? Some of them were even recalled!

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

The games does not crash (20min) when I lower the speed to 600 pc100. But if I have the 3d option on, the game (BGII) is not smooth and abnormal flickering blocks appear. So it could be the mobo. Do you happen to know the forum for the abit motherboards?

Also, where is the location to get the Hollywood+ drivers for my DVD? Does nay know if there is any drivers for a phillips video encoder? (record things from the TV).

Comment

Check the PCI divider. This should be at 1/4 when running 133mhz otherwise your pci goes silly and when worked hard everything goes tits up.

We could also be looking at the classic G400 not seated problem again.

------------------
                        1st system

Coppermine 700E @ 933mhz (133mhz FSB). Taisol HSF, Abit BX133 RAID. 384mb Winbond pc133, USR Message Modem external, SB Live!, IBM 30GB 7200rpm, IBM 45GB 7200rpm, Quantum 850mb HDD, G400 @ max settings, Hauppage WinTV GO!,Adaptec 2940 SCSI card,Plextor 40x SCSI CD ROM, YAMAHA 8x4x24 CDRW, Genius 100mbit nic. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB. Win98/w2k Dual boot. All wrapped up in Songcheer full tower with loads of fans and 2 PSUs. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor, FPS100 sound system, Cyborg 2000 joystick, generic keyboard.

Crossover cable

2nd system

AMD Athlon 1 GHz @ 1150MHz, fop32 HSF,Abit KT7, 128mb PC100 Infineon RAM, 30GB IBM Telesto HDD, Generic 50x CD ROM, SB Live, ASUS 7700 Geforce 2 GTS 32MB, SBLIVE, Genius 100mbit NIC, 17in Belinea 10-30-50 Monitor, epson 460 stylus printer, genius vivid pro 2 scanner. Generic keyboard, 3d program pad, Genius netmouse pro, Songcheer Super Wide Midi Tower Case ATX,300Watt PSU (original went bang)
                        1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

I think I found the problem with my system. I did a fresh reinstall and move the PCI cards around and that did not help, it made things worse because i keep getting regestry errors when i start win98 (I did not get this before). This error gets worse everytime i start windows, until i have to reinstall windows(2-3 restarts). Once i reinstall it i tried moving the memory to the second slot and that seems to work... so far. I currently have my CPU at 800 with FSB 133 and I ran BGII and it did not crash for the 40 min that I played it.
                          But I also changed my drive order to:
                          c: win98 - primary
                          d: win2000- extended logical drive
                          e: games -extended logical drive

I think that the first memory slot is bad. I haven't tried the 3rd slot for the memory yet...hopefully that is fine. If that is the problem (which it looks like it is...) then it is still not that good since I plan to add another memory card and that means that I won't be able to expand the memory anymore. I can't get a replacement from the dealer since the warrenty is only good for 15 days which was 3 - 4 months ago. Unless I can get it from the manufactor...?

I also tried overclocking the CPU, I got as far as 852 142 before it started to do a physical memory dump on me and other errors in which windows will not start.

I will see what happens when I leave the computer on for a few hours and leave a game on for a few hours as well...

Comment

Working...
                          X