"AGP 8x specs was Matrox's idea??
    Do we really need AGP 8x??"

No.
    No.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

dZeus, mine is 4:3 aspect ratio, but it will do 5:4 no problem if ya don't mind shortened, plumped up people! LOL
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, you see, first matrox waited for DirectX 8 to be announced, now they wait for the new MOBOs with AGPx8 on them. What will be the next (possible since they don't give a s**t about us) excuse ?

------------------
        I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

I don't think that they don't care about their customers. I think it was just a business decision. OEM sales are more important to staying alive (as a company) than the retail market. As a 3DFX investor (ugh!) I know quite well what happens to a company when they focus on retail only and just give lip service to retail - they go out of business. The OEM market it huge compared to retail, and that's just the way it is. I know it suXors.

Anyway, you can always just pick up a GF2 or Radeon for now and sell it on Ebay when Matrox delivers the goods. They had said that the still _are_ interested in the the gaming market. They just don't have the resources to do everything at once.

-AJ

Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

Actually AGP 8X will provide a much needed boost even with today's cards,let alone upcoming ones.

The basic reasoning for this is quite simple really.

Existing video cards that have onboard T.L,are already extremely powerful cards that according to both ATI and Nvidia can process up to 30 million polys per second.

The problem however,lies in the fact that not even AGP 8X,is fast enough to actually feed the video card with anywhere near that amount and that's without considering that it not just vertex data that goes across the AGP bus either.

Even Nvidia has stated that,with carefull optimization following their guidelines and assuming an average target frame rate of 60 fps.developers should be aiming for roughly 40.000 polys per frame(about 4x higher than the average shipping game).

That is only 1/10th of the transformation capabilities of current cards.

A few months ago,i participated in a discussion on the vbb(volition buletin board),with dave baranec(lead freespace 2 developer),to which the replied the following and i quote:

Modern cpu's and video cards are so powerful these days,you could compare them to supertankers trying to transfer oil to one another using nothing bigger than a milkshake straw.

He does like where video card makers are going,but trying to say that it's already possible to have 10x the amount of detail in a game just because a card has T.L onboard is still not possible given the current pc architecture,no matter how well optimized the game.

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
            P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Erm, today's cards are not AGP 8x.

Comment

Damn you you must be blind if you can tell the differnce between a G400 and a Geforce at higher res. I had a friends PC that put together and on my monitor at 1280x1024, the damn thing was fuzzy and the color is all washed out. He had a Asus V7770 Geforce2 64mb card. In Compairson I got a Radeon AIW this past weekend and the Image quaitly is right up there with my G400MAX I had in before it. I haven't run into any major driver issues yet with it and I needed to do some tweaking to get some minor problems fixed in some of the games that I had.

Scott

------------------
                Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I ask some information at the Matrox Reseller in my coutry. They answer me that the Matrox enginers are constantly work on a new solution or a future product. Obviously they told me that all is covered by industry secrets and they can't tell me more information. According with the amiga news, Matrox and Amiga will transform the 3d fiction into 3d reality.

Comment

about geforce image quality; (believe it or not but check this out !)-----> http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html

read here and there that this is true and no hoax
                    bruce c. sucks

Comment

Man! Way too many ads popping up from that Geocities link.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I know wery well there aren't any Agp 8x cards(not yet anyways).

The point i was trying to make is that while adding T.l on video cards is a good idea and games can look quite a bit better,we won't see anywhere near what current cards can really do mostly because of relatively slow bus speeds.

Most developers try to use effects wich,for the most part are either video card or cpu bound,while trying to limit the amounts of data that have to go through the system buses.

But that can only take you so far....

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

To Paulcs:have you even clicked the link ?
                          zero popups.
                          That's what's sometimes annoying here ; BlahBlah without checking first

-edit :
                          even zero banners, thats two less then the page you're watching now
                          -end edit

[This message has been edited by wumpie leBeumb (edited 22 December 2000).]
                          bruce c. sucks

Comment

wumpie, that's been posted here several times ... http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/009508.html http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/009541.html http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/009714.html
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

haha, point taken..
                              bruce c. sucks

Comment

Shame you can't take your own advise and read. Why would one buy a card with inferior parts/design and then need to modify it to get even close in image quality in what comes stock in a Matrox card?! I could easily do this, but then how many others could and since they can't, would end up paying $$ to have someone else to do it. Voiding the warranty all at the same time...

Makes perfect since to me! LOL (nVidiot)

Comment

Working...
                                X