Best 19" for G450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 19" for G450?

Yes, yes old question and I've scanned the library -- but I'm having a barrel of a time getting decent 2D performance on new 19" monitors and I'm about to scream.

1.) I am currently on a Creative TNT. Stop pointing.

2. I bought an Iiyama 451 19" and it had a very severe "shimmering" problem -- hard to describe, but close inspections revealed vertical scanning lines "ghosting" causing text to very subtly ripple. Which you couldn't tell right off the bat, but after a few minutes of use, it was hard on the eyes. This happened on multiple video cards, not just "what is 2D?" Nvidia choices.

3. I just got a Viewsonic A-90 19". This one seems much stronger, even on the old Nvidia board, but there is a new problem -- about one inch from the right and left sides of the screen is extremely moire-ish. The center of the screen is lovely but the sides look like they're behind a very fine screen door. Moire/refresh/resolution/monitor tweaks do not get rid of it.

4. I have a G450 on the way. Couldn't find a G400max.

5. If a replacement A90 gives me this same "screen door" problem -- which 19" monitor would you recommned for the G450?

I'm running Windows 98se, work mostly in 2D applications like Word, and game about one hour a night. It seems there's some dispute, but in general -- shadow mask is better for text. On the other hand, I have heard very few bad things about Sony 19" units apart from cost.

Takers? Any tid-bits you could throw into the hat would be appreciated. Because, yes, my eyes really hurt.

Thanks for easing any pain...

--Dean
    deancarlson@mindspring.com

Hi Dean.

I currently have an IIYama Vision Master Pro400 (thnx Randy . Only 17", but I have seen the 21" version and I'm planning to buy it in the near future

Sony is probably the best, but IIyama is a very good second. Be sure to get the Pro version, that's the equivalent to Sony's Trinitron tube.

You can blame the ghosting on that videocard. The TNT on the other hand is not as bad as an i740 card. I saw it connected to a 21" LCD monitor. Terrible, if you can afford such a monitor, you should buy a Matrox card as well. Especially if the LCD monitor has a flatpannel connection.

You could also try a BNC cable to see if the ghosting disappears

I have to remind that taste is a personal thing, so good luck

------------------
    Peter Aragon
    Matrox G450 DDR 16MB, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 400, Asus CUSL2-C, Pentium III 1GHz + Golden Orb, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 40GB, 256MB, SBLive Platinum 5.1, Hauppauge TV-card, Plextor 12/10/32A burner, Pioneer 16x DVD, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

[This message has been edited by Peter Aragon (edited 19 February 2001).]
    Peter Aragon
    Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

Well, the Iiyama 451 I had showed many other problems as well (forgetting proportions, cycling through 3 different brightness levels for 5-20 minutes at a time, drunk landing, etc.) -- not to mention screwy on multilple computers with multiple video cards (many non-NVidia).

I've heard many similar problems from new 451 owners so I think these early shipments are just seriously messed up.

Other than that, the only thing keeping me away from Sony (besides price) is that they are aperture grill-only. Which I'd like to avoid if I could.

--Dean

Comment

Too bad this 451 monitor of yours is "damaged", but you have a 1 year guarantee
        Return it and get a new one.

If you don't like the aperture grill, don't go for the IIYama Pro-series, because they have it. I don't notice them any more though, they are very thin. I ordered the wrong monitor, I got the normal version. But I hated the honeycone shaped pixels the very minute I got it installed so I returned it and got the Pro version. Personally I think they are much sharper and have more contrast, because the lack of the honeycone-structure it passes more light, if you can call it that way, you probably know what I mean

------------------
        Peter Aragon
        Matrox G450 DDR 16MB, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 400, Asus CUSL2-C, Pentium III 1GHz + Golden Orb, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 40GB, 256MB, SBLive Platinum 5.1, Hauppauge TV-card, Plextor 12/10/32A burner, Pioneer 16x DVD, 3COM 905C Networkcard.
        Peter Aragon
        Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

I ordered the Iiyama online so I won't even start to tell you how much money has been flushed due to shipping to-and-from alone. And they would only exchange the 451 with another 451 and I'd rather not get stuck in that money pit of eternal exchanges.

Also, I don't mind the aperture grill lines. I've had a 15" Sony for 4-5 years now. But from most reports, shadow mask has better text so that seems the way to go.

--Dean

Comment

I'm using my Vision Master Pro 450 (which is a 19", not a 17" ) with my G200 for some years now. Never had a problem.

Btw, try to use 1400x1050 resolution, I heard from several people that they use that as their default setting on their 19". Only when doing some programming a sometimes switch to 1600.

Comment

1400x1050?

<despondent chuckle>

I couldn't get a decent picture on 800x600, much less anything higher.

Conclusion: no more Iiyamas for Dean.

I'm off to exchange this Viewsonic A90 with another A90 to see if it was just this unit's "screen door moire on the sides" fault.

(actually -- can a video card cause excessive screen door moire on just the right and left sides of the screen?)

--Dean

Comment

A few things.

1. Since you had the ghosting problems on multiple rigs, I would say it was probably a poor cable. On larger monitors heavily shielded cables are a must, and you also want to keep cable length as short as you can. I had that problem a while back because of my TVGenie (the cable that comes with it is pretty crappy), so I had to shell out a pile and get a better cable.

2. True, the Sony's are pretty darn good.

3. I prefer shadow mask as well. I run a Hitachi SuperScanElite CM751 19". It's shadow mask, got it ~2 years ago. I love it (after fixing my TVGenie problem). I have a G400Max and run 1600x1200x32@75 Hz.

Here are some things I have noticed (good and bad):

- the phosphors do not lose their charge quickly enough. There is a slight halo with light images in front and dark backgrounds. Also while watching movies, in a dark scene with a light that moves quickly, a very noticeable trail is left on the screen. This also manifests itself in games.

- The screen geometry controls and moire controls have worked very well for me. It remembers ~30 different settings so you can easily tweak it for all your different needs.

- Only does 75 Hz at 1600.

- Has gone on a couple 18hr road trips without any problems.

- The text is very crisp and easy to read. I spend very much time at my computer and do not get eyestrain from using it, whereas in 5 minutes at most other computers I get a mad headache.

- no RGB inputs (although they may have changed that in newer models) (really, I'm not sure what the new models Hitachi offers are like)

- many buttons on front for changing things so you don't have to navigate through OSD menus

- keeps my room warm.

hope this helps,
                b
                Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

I doubt if you sent the monitor back under warrenty that you'd get a new one. More likely you'd get another monitor that has been sent back by another party that is marginal and just meets the min specs.
                  I've got an iilyama 450 and this also ghosts, (This will go back when I'm next on holiday). Not very noticable under many colour schemes but stands out a mile if you have white on black.
                  Halos are quite common and can reduced by setting the brightness and contrast controls properly. However some monitors are worse than others.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have a factory refurbished Cornerstone 50/95 (21") that's two years old now (paid $494 w/ s&h back then) that I run both my celeron system (Mil G200 or G450) and my Athlon system (G400Max or G450) with and even if I put the 10' (3.3m) extension cable attached to either the BNC or stock vga cable to and it doesn't ghost at all, even tho I have it sent for 1600x1200 75hz 24/7.

BTW convergence is near perfect, crystal clear and very vibrant!

I wouldn't exactly call the extension cable top of the line either, tho it is very good. Paid only $15 for it @ a local electronics shop here
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Dang that's a run on! LOL (me be tired)
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If you can spend (but not much) just a little more, you should buy a Sony E400 (Just bought two from uBID for $205 US each through my uncle) that I use with my G450 DH 32 MB. You won't regret it !!! They are by far the best CRT monitor I have ever seen (excluding the bigger G/E500 and W900 models from Sony too!). I tell you, there's no coming back from a very high quality completely flat Triniton monitor. Plus, you get a 3 to 5 years warranty! I still have a 17SE² and a 100ES on my G400 and a 210GS on my Radeon. I have been Pro-Matrox and Pro-Sony ever since I paired a Matrox Ultima Plus with my still-top-shape 17SE². I have never been bother my the mask wires, I something even have a hard time finding them

P.S.: IMO, Sony builds the best CRT monitors, but big brands Flat Triniton monitors like some NEC, MAGinnovision or Mitsubishi are very good too!

[This message has been edited by frankymail (edited 19 February 2001).]
                        What was necessary was done yesterday;
                        We're currently working on the impossible;
                        For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                        - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                        - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                        - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                        - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                        - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                        (Server)
                        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                        - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                        - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                        - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Go to www.pcpro.co.uk , they have reviewed many 19" monitors lately.
                          Good luck and have fun !

------------------
                          I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

I won a 19" PF790 from the online Matrox website contest but it's been 3 weeks and no monitor yet

Time to email matrox

Comment

A small update:

Got the G450 in today (that was quick) and installed it. A handy piece of advice -- make sure you hook up your monitor to the right output on first bootup. Yes I is a geniusse. Scared the crap out of me before I realized what I had done. Then, when I turned the computer off after the HD stopped and rebooted -- many a bad beep. Power-switch off-->on fixed that.

Anyway.

The 2D on this board seems much improved, obviously, but I get the *exact* same bad "screen-door" moire problems on the right and left sides of the screen. Will see what a replacement monitor does. First replacement will probably be an equal Viewsonic, second will most likely be a Sony due to all the drool.

But I'm paranoid. I think something might be wrong with the power in this room/house. At least two monitors are freaking out, multiple surge protectors do odd things (when I plugged in either new monitor the "wiring" light would come on one of them, a replacement surge protector now turns off it's switch bulb when the computer is on), and word has it there's nothing one can do apart from maybe testing out a Universal Power Supply.

Or something.

I just have a sinking feeling in my stomach that no matter which monitor I buy, I will have some weird problem. Maybe similar problems even if I bought an entirely new system pre-built.

Must...fight...depression...

--Dean

Comment

Working...
                              X