Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little quote from Anandtech about Tomshardware review

From www.anandtech.com

Tom's Hardware has posted the first Parhelia review albeit in German. But we all know that benchmark charts are the universal techie language :-) And if my geek knowledge serves me correctly, shorter bars = lower performance and the Parhelia has a LOT of those
    "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
    Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Oh hell....I have a feeling the Parhelia is gonna get bashed by the reviewers. If only they could get their wee little minds to look past those "bars" and look at the more important features...
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Well it's so much easier to run benchmark and post the results than to really get into quality and features........

Comment

oh well only so much we can do....sigh
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Kyle on HardOCP about the Tomshardware article.
          [H]ardNews - Parhelia Shows Up Early Monday June 24, 2002
          Posted by Kyle 2:55 PM (CDT)

Earlier today a well-known German website disclosed their Matrox Parhelia numbers. The pages seem to have been removed at this time. While we cannot legally give you the content, as it is copyright material, we can certainly discuss what we have seen.

Aquanox - Parhelia was beaten by ATI's 128MB 8500 and the Ti4600 nearly doubled the score.

Comanche 4 - Parhelia not breaking the 30FPS barrier at 1024x768 while the Ti4600 broke 40.

Jedi Knight 2 - At 1024x768 the Parhelia was about 30% behind both the 8500 and the Ti4600.

3DMark2002 SE v330 - Just breaking into the 7000s while their test system was breaking 10K with the Ti4600. The 8500 dusted it again as well.

Quake 3 Arena - Parhelia lagging way behind both cards and not even giving deathmatch playable frame rates at 1600x1200 in my opinion.

At this point I am really wondering what Matrox was thinking. I know full well that they have explained that their Parhelia will be the card for tomorrow, but while it is currently not keeping pace with the current generation's GPUs, across the board, you have to wonder. Triple head gaming is not going to save Matrox this time round if what we saw is correct. I can certainly understand their reasons with not wanting to give the [H] a card at this point.
          <font size="-4">User error:
          Replace user and try again.
          System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
          System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
          </font>

Comment

Kyle is really trying to get even with Matrox...hmmm that doesn't sound at all what I was trying to say(bad english).....you know revenge and stuff....well let's just say he's an idiot OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Zed_L
              Kyle is really trying to get even with Matrox...hmmm that doesn't sound at all what I was trying to say(bad english).....you know revenge and stuff....well let's just say he's an idiot OK?
              Boy I feel like calling him a FPS Whore over on his site...boy should be interesting tommorow....
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It's just the damndest of things, but I could have sworn that the 8500 was always benchmarked as "so much slower" than a Geforce 4, but now Parhelia cards can be such a terrible 30 fps behind both of them. No doubt I just bdon't understand their benchmarks correctley.
                MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

This has been said elsewhere, but remember when the 8500 was first released and it could barely perform well againt a GF3. Now it's competing with a GF4 with mature drivers. The Parhelia beat the 8500 in most of the benchmarks off of Tom's site, and this was with beta drivers and a beta board.
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

the board was final and the drivers were most likely too. the card is being shipped very soon and i guess they don't ship beta drivers since the driver cd also needs some time to be pressed and so does the packaging etc.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Did it state that in the review? Sorry, I'm not up on my German. Even if so, they still have a long ways to go on the driver developement. I expect big improvements for the months to come.
                      System Specs:

Comment

Too bad, I came too late to see Tom's article myself. BuddMan, judging from the data Hardocp posted, it seems like the Parhelia got it's tripled head's busted up by the 8500. "30% behind the 8500" doesn't sound good to me.

It's a given that performance will rise with better drivers. Extrapolatimg from just Parhelia's spec's, you expect much more than what Parhelia shown in Tom's bench's. So I guess we should still expect big things from the P and big M.
                        Primary system specs:
                        Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

The card was a final version, but judging by what they said about the memory clocking, it was probably the slower clocked bulk version.
                          The drivers should have been the "shipping" version (1.00.023) that will be included on the CD with the card, but by the time the card is actually shipped out, there should be newer ones posted on the web.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Just imagine how much more pissed off he'd be if he'd been running a Matrox related site for 7 years and didn't get offered one

Originally posted by Zed_L

Comment

you didn't get one Ant? not even offered? i'd be pissed

he'd be if he'd been running a Matrox related site for 7 years
                              more like THE matrox related site
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                              X