Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your first impressions of the Parhelia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The review at 3dcenter showed me exactly why I ordered this card. I can play most of my favorite games at the resoultion of my LCD with FAA. I didn't expect more. Okay, some more stable drivers perhaps. But as i know matrox that is just a matter of time (short time and not of ages as with ATI).
    My first G400 had bad drivers too, but they became rockstable very fast.

Comment

This card is clearly not for FPS fans. Any other game it's probably the best.

That said, FPS is the dominant game-type for most gamers. I personally play a good handful of them. I was really hoping that this card would give >85fps with FAA at high resolutions. The 32-bit performance is rather disappointing across the board. I hope the sites put up 16-bit performance.

Comment

*most* of your *current* games
        what about doom3, ut2k3, ... ? I'm wondering how this baby is gonna perform on future games. If it can hardly keep a decent framerate with current games with the features that make this card worthwile (16x FAA, 8x aniso), how the hell is it gonna run future games at a decent level ?

Comment

Keep in mind that the BB's have had favorable things to say about the card, specifically that it 'plays smoother'.

Nevertheless, I must confess to being a bit concerned as well. I had hoped for a bit more than this, but as it is garaunteed to perform beter than my Kyro II at the least, I can't say that it's going to be a bad purchase. I definately miss the image quality of my G400 (which is still in my secondary system, for a little longer) and am looking forward to a return to the crisp display of a Matrox card. It's ultimately a matter of tradeoffs between quality, features, and performance. Between the features and the quality that I know I will get, slightly lower performance is acceptable to me, and of course as the drivers mature things will definately get better.

So thats my couple of cents, not that it's actually worth even one cent, but hey...

Ian

BTW, is anyone else unable to do an order lookup on their preorder? When I login to shopmatrox.com it says I have no open orders, what gives?
          Primary System:
          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
          Seccondary System:
          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
          Tertiary system
          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

That's a valid point. As the newer generation games come out, you just slowly start taking off the extra eye candy to improve performance. The Parhelia can't even do that.

Comment

hope that matrox can do somerthing about the drivers in XP.... my old G400 is 50% slower when running XP compared to ME

Comment

I am not so sure seeing such poor performance for what the card is. The drivers with updates would only increase performance say 10_15% 20-25% if your lucky. Seems to be the card holding itself back more then anything. Just to slow compaired to everything else, and the resolution used is not optimal at all, I would say not even playable in multi-player situations if you use 1280*1024 like I do, 1600*1200 in some. I was hoping for so much more from this card, looking at the specs I thought it would deliver, what went wrong?
                Fenrir(AVA)
                "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
                The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
                Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

Alot of us do not have Athlon 2100+ fully decked out system like most of the reviewers were running the tests on. I wonder how a slower system would affect Parhelia.

I must admit Matrox has some balls to be completely out of the high end gaming arena for two years, and then introdure a product that has mediocre performance at best...
                  Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Originally posted by blade-be
                    *most* of your *current* games
                    what about doom3, ut2k3, ... ? I'm wondering how this baby is gonna perform on future games. If it can hardly keep a decent framerate with current games with the features that make this card worthwile (16x FAA, 8x aniso), how the hell is it gonna run future games at a decent level ?
                    Check Anand's review... He tested with the latest build of the ut2k3 demo with scripts specially written for testing with the P...

Besides, new games are going to use multi-textures, use shaders etc. more than current games, which won't incur such a big dent in parhelia's performance...

As for the performance, I think that getting a new hsf for the card and increasing the core speed wouldn't exactly hurt anyone... (With the exception of when you push too far...)

Comment

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

Besides, new games are going to use multi-textures, use shaders etc. more than current games, which won't incur such a big dent in parhelia's performance...
                      I think this is where we need to look. How will the card perform in multi-textured games which are written for next gen hardware (like Parhelia, etc...)

CEM
                      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

UT2k3 is the first example of nextgen software and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                          UT2k3 is the first example of nextgen software and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

If that is true, then it doesn't look so good for the GF4 Ti 4600, either.

1024x768, W/Anti-Aliasing

Parhelia = 43.6
                          4600 = 42.8

matrox is using 16x AA while the Nvidia uses 4x.

Just a thought.

Plus, there is displacement mapping, tesselation, etc. which we have to look forward too...

personally, I'm looking forward to playing at 1024 with AA in my favorite games. even gonna try surroung gaming...

Cheers
                          System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Ah, but the G4 ti4600 user can turn off AA and go back over the 85fps mark. The Parhelia user turns it off and doesn't come close to going over 85fps.

Comment

This is implicitally encouraging:

It looks like there may be something in the drivers holding the card back a little.

I wonder if anyone from Matrox can comment. Haig? Beta Boyz?

Cheers...

Comment

Of course the drivers are a factor.
                                They are still very young, and have much room to grow.
                                In just the last couple weeks of testing, we've gone through a bunch of driver builds. The difference from the first set of drivers we got to the current set we're testing has netted me almost a 5% increase in benchmarks...and that's just over a couple of weeks.
                                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                                X