No announcement yet.

Any cancelations for the parhelia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This version of the Parhelia maybe short lived, but AnandTech states Matrox is commitied to this core and will have revisions, and other enhancements, etc.
    Fenrir(AVA)
    "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
    The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
    Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

If this is correct:

Driver matiruty will increase frame rates by ~ 10%.
      ------------------
      Haig
      Matrox Graphics
      Technical Support Manager

Will any1 change their mind about buying a parhelia?

Comment

The card is overclockable, Great, but you need to overclock it in order to gain the preformance to almost the same as say the Ti4200, personally I don't care for fps that much, but man its low, way low, its just not worth the money.
        P.S Overclocking with a peltier....ummm more money spent... I'm waiting for the R300 and the NV30.
        I'm happy with my Radeon 8500 for now, don't need to overclock it either it runs quite well.

Comment

10% is what AnandTech said to, but still that is not a great leap forward.
          Fenrir(AVA)
          "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.

Comment

Remember, the card is still a great value if you are serious about running dual or triple head. Nothing on the market comes close to it. I hope it also performs well in professional 3d applications. Then it would have a nice niche market at its disposal.

Unfortunately, from what I see, I could not recommend this card for single head gaming usage. The price is simply too high for the performance that you get. Although I hope I am wrong, I would not count on newer drivers improving performance much, except maybe in OpenGL. From previous experience with the g400 max, I found that over time performance stayed roughly the same, save for some bug fixes. Personally, I would pay about $249 for a single head version of the Parhelia, but no more.

Comment

I,ve cancelled my preorder today. Main reasons:

1) Performance wasn't up to what I've expected. I've could have accepted it was on par with GF Ti4200. Low coreclock and inmature drivers isn't the only explanation. If they had launched retail at say 275-300 Mhz the story would be different.
              Bad design?

2) Price. If the price had been 100$ less I might have considered it.

3) I still haven't got any information about dvd and tv output quality.

I'll think I go for a ATI Radeon 8500 right away which have a nice blend of features for now.

Sorry Matrox. Grreat innovations. Triple head, GIGA color, FAA, Displacement mapping. But not ready for the future performancevise. It's good on paper but doesn't cut the mustard. Next time maybe.

Robert Ericson

Comment

I've cancelled my preordered (3) P
                Main reason ?
                Speed and early driver issues
                I will wait for 256M and maybe higher clock later this summer.

Comment

Lets hope higher clock speeds are on the 256MB verison.......otherwise I think Matrox will come out of this looking rather daring, but lacking any bullets in the chamber.
                  Fenrir(AVA)

Comment

lets face it the 256 will be the same card with more ram not a .13 micron part. it will probably be clocked at 250mhz very little more and memory bandwidth may be the 20 gig touted at announcement, it will cost at leats $500 which will make it uncompetitive at which time the r300 will be announced and maybeeven shipping. parhelia is a good card in its current state, it boasts the best 2d quality as well as the only card to feature triple head support and 16xfaa but if you are a hardcore 3d gamer it may not be enough and as doom 3 will not run very well at all on it by what has been said is it going to shine in these yetto be released games like promised? personally i think $400 is way too much for such a part its more like a $200 part in my opinion even considering matrox's profound quality. i will wait to se if the compition have anything by october and if not i will go for the ceapest parhelia and hope they've droped in price by then.
                    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

cheesekeeper pretty much has my thoughts nailed down on why i canceled. at $400, this card needs to be faster. like several other users, i wanted a card to get out of low-res hell. i knew this thing wouldn't beat out a gf4, but it was going to be faster with all the goodies turned on. the problem is that, even with all the goodies turned on, it's not fast enough that i would play like that. and if i'm not using all of the visual goodies, then what's the point of spending $400 on radeon 8500 performance when i can get a radeon 8500 for $100?

nope, it's not a gf4-killer. but to be competitive, it has to come closer in performance than it does. as cheesekeeper said, if the base performance were more like 75% that of a gf4 instead of 50%, then those FAA/AF scores would have truly impressed.

- nf

Comment

My pre-order was canceled, but not because of the reviews. I have financial obligations that I must attend to first. When the 64 MB version comes out, I'll probably grab that. When the die shrink hits with a few extra core revisions, I'll get a monster board then.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'd just like to encourage all those who are thinking about cancelling to do so.... it'll bump me further up on the preorder list that way.

(I'm not cancelling in case you couldn't geuss)

Ian
                          Primary System:
                          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                          Seccondary System:
                          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                          Tertiary system
                          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

some message for al the run awayers that are buy a other card now i know for sure if they see is at a friends place the will be coming back home an be moaing abuot why did they make the wrong discusion and went over to a nvidia ore ati card hehehe
                            specs p4 2.8@3.2Ghz Giga byte xnpbla bla 2x80GbHD Raid 0 creative audigy iiyama vision master 502 (21inch) a logitech mx700
                            video is ati 9700pro modded to 9800 speeds volt mod ect ect

Comment

I remember after it was found out the G800 was no longer (at least the G800 we were expecting) almost everyone was saying they just need all the features with a decent 3D speed. Thats obviously not the case now. It seems that people want a video card for bragging rights....
                              i would be satisfied with a g400 SUPERMAX (g400 at GF3Ti200 speeds) for the next 6 or 9 months. but not for 400$ ....... maybe 150$.
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I cancelled my preorder this morning. Way too much money ($680 Can) to spend on something I'm not sure about. My old Max has been limping along for a while now it can keep on limping for a while longer.

Maybe by the time things have settled so I can make a decision, I'll actually have the money to pay for it.
                                Laurie
                                ======

Comment

Working...
                                X