OCing the Parhelia yet??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kruzin
    The one cooler I did take a quick look at was a Crystal Orb chipset cooler. The corner PC shop had one. The mounting holes where just a tad too far apart. Besides, it didn't look heavy duty enough for this application.
    What??? How do you define "Heavy duty"?
    This mofo is 6000 RPM for peet sake! And it makes a terrible high pitched noise. BUT IT MOVES A LOT OF AIR!

/Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

That might be a little to large at 60mm square, given the RAM layout on the board.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Jake> What is interesting is the size of the heatsink, the components used in the heatsink, the radius/diameter of the fan, the speed of the fan etc...

Check out the cooling part of the hardforum... some of the users there might not like Matrox much, but they sure know cooling...

.02$

Comment

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
          Jake> What is interesting is the size of the heatsink, the components used in the heatsink, the radius/diameter of the fan, the speed of the fan etc...

Check out the cooling part of the hardforum... some of the users there might not like Matrox much, but they sure know cooling...

.02$
          The cooling forum at [H] is inhabited by insane people! Everyone knows they would OC their own mommas, if that was possible. I mean as a chipset or gfx fan the CrystalOrb is KUUL for "moderate OC'ers" like most people here.

/Jake
          Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
          ----------------------
          Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

If you've got a shipping/stock one, what size is the heatsink on the Parhelia's you guys have?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
              The cooling forum at [H] is inhabited by insane people! Everyone knows they would OC their own mommas, if that was possible.
              LOL! Yeah, they might go a bit overboard, but if you're ever in need of some formulaes to calculate the heattransfer rate for a chip, or which coolers gives best performance with which fans, that's the place to go imo...

Besides, they've got some nice ideas for watercooling!

Originally posted by Jake
              I mean as a chipset or gfx fan the CrystalOrb is KUUL for "moderate OC'ers" like most people here.
              That might be true, but if the P scales the way I hope it does..........
              I wonder if I can get any of these to fit...
              Artic SuperSilent
              Sibak AC-2625
              or the
              Zalman CNPS 5100 CU

NOTE: some of the info are in norwegian, though you should be able to understand the numbers...

Comment

About 1 7/8" - 2" square.

Maybe a Crystal Orb would work. I'm no cooling expert.
                It would fit, but one of the hole would have to me modified.

There are some kits on that site that might work that include RAM sinks...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

1U rack mount CPU coolers are always a good idea. Exspecially an alph cooler. You may want to look at these :

CoolerJag JAC311C

CoolJag JAC322C

Comment

Originally posted by slipknot
                    1U rack mount CPU coolers are always a good idea. Exspecially an alph cooler.
                    Nice... but what speeds/watts are they rated for?

The reason I linked the 3 above is that they are all rated for Athlon 1900+ and above, which should give plenty of headroom due to the amount of heat an Athlon puts out...

For me it isn't worth oc'ing if I'm only going for 10-15 mhz... The speed increase will probably not be worth the risk...
                    I'd rather try for 55Mhz more, which should give a nice speed bump...

.02$

Comment

Heh, after doing some primitive Photoshop measurements, I came up with this:

That's the area a 60mm heatsink would take up. Assuming the core is pretty thick it looks like there should be enough room, unless you planned on putting sinks on the RAM too.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

For me it isn't worth oc'ing if I'm only going for 10-15 mhz... The speed increase will probably not be worth the risk...
                        I'd rather try for 55Mhz more, which should give a nice speed bump...

.02$

going for 55 mhz is abit big i think i hope so but when we begin with 10 15 its a start hehe
                        specs p4 2.8@3.2Ghz Giga byte xnpbla bla 2x80GbHD Raid 0 creative audigy iiyama vision master 502 (21inch) a logitech mx700
                        video is ati 9700pro modded to 9800 speeds volt mod ect ect

Comment

uuummmm heatsink on the ram ofcorse Jon
                          specs p4 2.8@3.2Ghz Giga byte xnpbla bla 2x80GbHD Raid 0 creative audigy iiyama vision master 502 (21inch) a logitech mx700
                          video is ati 9700pro modded to 9800 speeds volt mod ect ect

Comment

I think that's a little farther than I would want to take it.
                            I just don't like the thought of hanging something that size off the chip.
                            And I would want to run RAM sinks as well if I did it.
                            If the CA is a decent cooler, this kit would probably work ok:

Comment

Originally posted by OZZIE_NO_GOOD
                              going for 55 mhz is abit big i think i hope so but when we begin with 10 15 its a start hehe
                              So is going for 300mhz with a 750 Duron, but still worked like a charm... (though with a big fan)

And offcourse you start with 10 Mhz, if not 5... But the point is, why buy a cooler which hopefully will hold you back from releasing the full potential of the P?

But I won't complain if i can't reach 55.. It's just that a core running at 275mhz sounds so nice

Comment

If any of the BBz have a card out of their system. Could they get a few measurements? What size are the ram chips in mm? What is the distance from one whole to another.

I may just find a way to mount that Alpha with screws and a protective backplate.

Or else I will go with one of these and mount a squirrel cage blower on it.
                                I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Working...
                                X