OCing the Parhelia yet??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kruzin
    Well, I brought home that crystal cooler today.
    There's no way it would work on Parhelia. mounting pins on P are just too far apart.

Fits my G400 nicely though
    Do you think this would fit?

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Fit yes, work no. The Zalman coolers are all designed to provide moderate cooling with the minium amount of noise possible. Since that cooler is designed for motherboard chipsets only, it's unlikely that it's designed to dissapate anywhere near as much heat as the Parhelia chip will put out (especially without a fan attached). Plus, it's quite tall enough that it will still overshadow 1-2 slots next to it. Unless someone (like these guys at 2cooltek) turns out a custom solution, a rack-mount CPU cooler will probably be the best way to go. Those coolers are designed to handle the heat from a 1GHz PIII - the Parhelia should be no problem (if we can attach the thing)........

Comment

Cheesekeeper> Well, my Zalman flower keeps my cpu more than cool enough even when I oc it, so I wouldn't be too afraid of using it.... Just place a big diameter fan above it, and it should do fine...

.02$

Comment

hmm forget all the rest this looks like the way to go if you want silence

as for that other zalman as stated it was for mobo chipsets not gpu's and certainly not for cpu's
          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I don't think it would even fit. It would be too small.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have a Zalman CNPS 3000G and it rocks for cooling cpu's.

BUT!

Due to it's rather narrow center section being what connects the fins it wouldn't be somthing I'd be putting on a Parhelia. The two end clamps are made of aluminum and thus won't draw the heat away like a standard HS (aluminum or copper) would. It would effectively leave a stripped section with good cooling and the opposing sides much HOTTER.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

he there is already a newer version off the drivers hehe it 26 now was 25 ore did i miss it already heehe
                specs p4 2.8@3.2Ghz Giga byte xnpbla bla 2x80GbHD Raid 0 creative audigy iiyama vision master 502 (21inch) a logitech mx700
                video is ati 9700pro modded to 9800 speeds volt mod ect ect

Comment

Does this mean Matrox actually cares about what people are saying about the Parhelia?
                  Fenrir(AVA)
                  "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
                  The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
                  Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

Would be very interesting to see if the new drivers has improved the benches.
                    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Does this mean Matrox actually cares about what people are saying about the Parhelia?
                      No, it just means they are continuing to improve drivers.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thyere's some interesting coolers here,check under video card and chipset coolers.

Comment

Stock Parhelia HS is 50x50x10mm
                          Last edited by Greebe; 29 June 2002, 18:52.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

3.3 ns is 300 MHz
                            3.3ns is a hair over 303mHz

1000/3.3=

Comment

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
                              Cheesekeeper> Well, my Zalman flower keeps my cpu more than cool enough even when I oc it, so I wouldn't be too afraid of using it.... Just place a big diameter fan above it, and it should do fine...

.02$
                              Don't get me wrong - I love Zalman coolers. The flower is one of my favourite CPU coolers (for orginality alone). Although the flower could do a great job with the Parhelia, it would pretty much use up all of your PCI slots. Zalman have released a flattened out version of the flower to use on video cards (it still requires that you leave at least one slot free though) - it's very clever (and silent), but it's also fairly useless from a cooling perspective. It can't be used on higher-clocked Geforce4 cards,as it usually doesn't even cool as well as the stock fan/heatsink.

Of course we don't know just how much extra cooling would be needed to get the Parhelia stable at 20MHz higher, but it's possible that even some of the stock GF4 coolers would be good enough. I'd doubt the baby-cooler they put on the Parhelia is even half as effective as some of those - and they will all work without using an extra slot - for instance:

Of course, coming from Australia, my opinion has to placed into the proper perspective

($AUD0.02 -> $USD0.01)

Comment

On thing i like to know...
                                The OEM version, does it has 3,3ns RAM also?

It would be pretty cool if i could overclock it from
                                200/250 to 240/300 and that for a cheaper price than for the retail version... Of course i need to have some new cooling one the GPU and som heatsinks on the RAM to do that..

That would be 20% overclock..
                                Or 9% over the retail version..

And if we get 10% in driver optima. that would be 30% and 19%
                                Last edited by Voyager3D; 30 June 2002, 11:18.
                                <font size="1">Game system: P4 1.8@2.4 - Asus P4S533 - 512 MB DDR333 - 30Gb IBM hd - AOpen Geforce 3 Ti200 - 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900SL plus
                                Work computer: IBM ThinkPad T23 - 1,13GHz Intel P3 - 640Mb Ram - 30Gb hd - S3 Savage.
                                Server: 566 MHz Celeron - 640Mb SDRAM - 130Gb hd space - Matrox G100</font>

Comment

Working...
                                X