No announcement yet.

Modded my Parhelia.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twisting instead of lifting is better in general.

(just a general note)
    Last edited by P5ycho; 7 July 2002, 15:23.

Comment

If you follow my instruction the HS will litterally fall off.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
        If you follow my instruction the HS will litterally fall off.
        Hmm boy nothing like buying a $400 video card and wanting to pull the HS/Fan off with in 24 hrs of getting it
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Greebe and/or Doc,

i should have my P in a couple of days...do you recommend that i do the ram sinks before putting in my card? i don't want to fool with the gpu fan, as i do no 3d gameing and no overclocking.

where can i buy good ram sinks(...i have no old cpu heat sinks)

i do plan on doing a fresh install of xp pro.

cc

Comment

Before modding ANY hardware, it's a good idea to plug it all in and make sure it works first. If said hardware is healthy, then you can start trying to teach it to do tricks.. if it isn't, then it's a lot easier to RMA.

Comment

your are right KvH!!!

it just didn't dawn on me that i might get a bad card from M...i have bought all my matrox cards from their store and have never gotten a bad one.

i still would like to pre-purchase the sinks for the eventuality.

cc

Comment

Adding ramsinks isn't a neccessity, the mem is rather hot, but seeing that it's a tad under it's spec it will work fine... think: it does have a warranty without
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

All this effort to over clock the poor card.... I wonder if it really makes that much of a difference. I mean you are messing with a card that costs 400$ US are you willing to just though away the waranty like that. I wonder what the guys at Matrox tech support would say if you called them up.

You: "Well after I increase the clocks to 50% higher I get some minor corruption what would you guys recommend"

Matrox Tech: "Well sir we do not recommend over clocking the card. please return the card to normal operational speeds"
                  Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!

Comment

suggestion: with the speed sensor wire on the fan, don't just cut it off
                    Run the sensor wire to one of you spare onboard fan headers and connect it to the sensor pin (middle one I think)

with just the sensor wire connected it should still work(did for me).
                    That way you can moniter its speed and even get you computer to shut down if it fails...saving your uber expensive video cards from a fire death.

sadly I will not be getting my parhelia for at least six months...
                    So I want you all to get the Mods and driver's sussed out by then..

Comment

Protege, Doc and I are Matrox beta testers (BBz).

Comment

So both of you are bbz? Or are all four?
                        Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Seeing as Parhelia seems to run todays games fine, I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to mess with their new card yet. i mean, it's your money and all...
                          but just consider-
                          If we are fortunate enough to see a large framerate boosting by new drivers then maybe it won't even be neccessary in the future. Hell, I've only just started messing with the HSF on my G400.

all i'm sayin' is that if P plays your games fine, slap a HSF on your sound card and wait a month or two. someone with bigger balls and more money will have "Experimented" and will educate us all on how to do it correctly. :-)

ps. i've got a theory about the drivers, matrox being a quality company wanted to get the Parhelia out the door with near perfect compatibility on current games. This is great because the games still run fast enough to play, and they play perfect on a brand new piece of hardware. WHEN the NExt Gen games come out, driver speed perfrormance should be much improved and will hopefully be competitive. this would be a great strategy on matrox's part, as it pleases early adobtors.

but hey, i don't really know. just sounds logical to me

pps. for fun you bbz should answer every question with "it's Magical!" or something along those lines
                          ex.
                          mini-"When willl we see speed improvements?"
                          bbz -"When the planets are aligned in the House of Zof, the Parhelia Drivers shall Burst Forth anew, bringing Fire and Brimstone So detailed and in 10-bit Gigacolor so vivid that your Brain will reel in agonizing pain. It shall also Stop Time!"
                          mini-"amen"
                          Last edited by Buback; 7 July 2002, 22:38.

Comment

Don't kid yourself. Drivers aren't going to give you more than 15% across the board improvement. 5-10% is realistic. The major performance benefits will be had by overclocking the card itself. Even this I think will not be enough to topple the R300 in games like UT 2003. Hopefully though in a 16 player deathmatch will everybody unloading, the game will be playable with all options on.

So it seems there is an O/C utility in the works
                            Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

With all this modding going around, I assume that once all modding is done and OC is successfull, we'll be seeing a Parhelia MAX with +/- 15% faster fps than the "normal" P. Add to that better drivers (where 20% better performance could be achieved within a few weeks if we're lucky) and we're talking here about a card around 30-40% faster than the P people are buying now.

Just my (very) distorted logic.

Comment

Well, if anyone has the room to put one of the original alpha sinks and clock the chip higher and increase its voltage then we'd see a core with ~300mhz. Safe to say at that speed the card was giving a GF4 a run for its money. (Don't know which one )

Comment

Working...
                                X