No announcement yet.

Modded my Parhelia.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, to my knowledge, ATI’S Radeon 8500 performance are now up %30 from the initial driver release. The G400 also got a pretty big boost from drivers (add TurboGL to that and the card was running smoooooth).

About Twisting/Lifting the HSF off: the twisting way is less likely to damage the chip (or rip it off… farewell Radeon ) but you considerately increase the chance of knocking some surface-mounted components off. The Hair-dryer approach is still the best in this case. The HSF removal process is a joke when hot.

Now if Entech could get Powerstrip to work with the Parhelia…
    What was necessary was done yesterday;
    We're currently working on the impossible;
    For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
    - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
    - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
    - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
    - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
    - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
    (Server)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
    - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
    - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
    - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Two of us BBz are beta testers of PS. Sadly we don't control the flow of information so Ashley will have to wait til the Holy Halls of M does.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by frankymail
        Hey, to my knowledge, ATI’S Radeon 8500 performance are now up %30 from the initial driver release. The G400 also got a pretty big boost from drivers (add TurboGL to that and the card was running smoooooth).
        The V5 5500 got around 30% boost with the latest driver compared to the first released driver.

So maybe Matrox can also get some more boost then they said...
        Specs:
        MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

I agree,

I think the drivers for the parhellia will get much better, but I will be a fence sitter for the next 6 months.

Hell, I may just purchase it for its high quality TV and monitor out. Not like I play that many games
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I think the drivers are allready good, but the games are not optimized for the P yet, I get awesome performance with NWO so with the right coding there is much more possible with this beauty.
            P4 2,4@2,6 AsusP4T-533 C 512 mb PC 1066 Quantum Atlas 10KII SCSI ATI R9700

Comment

That’s true; Besides, I’m very smooth running in Triple Head desktop, Jedi Knight II, Neverwinter Nights, Imperium Galactica 3 and Return to Catle Wolfenstein and a blast in Surround Gaming, I now have the coolest screen saver around (reef demo) and I can play any game in 1024x768@32 w/16xFAA and aniso (hopefully 8x/16x soon) and it never gets choppy and looks better than my GeForce 4 Ti at the same resolution with 6X(called 4XS in previous drivers) or 4XFSAA with 2X aniso, and it performs faster (the G4Ti slows down A LOT when enabling Aniso). So I’m sitting happy and phat now! (well, figure of speech… I’m actually slim and handsome, for all you care )
              What was necessary was done yesterday;
              We're currently working on the impossible;
              For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
              - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
              - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
              - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
              - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
              - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
              (Server)
              - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
              - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
              - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
              - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Mm, been a looong time since my last post...

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese
                do you recommend that i do the ram sinks before putting in my card? i don't want to fool with the gpu fan, as i do no 3d gameing and no overclocking.
                Just gotta give my $0.02 on this one. If there's going to be absolutely no overclocking and at best only moderate gaming, I think there's no need for any RAM heatsinks, not even to be on the safe side. If M doesn't feel they're a must, they aren't =) So, imho just plug the card in and forget about the sinks...

(bleh, Euro sign doesn't seem to work.. (:
                Idiots try to maintain order - A genius can control chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  suggestion: with the speed sensor wire on the fan, don't just cut it off
                  Run the sensor wire to one of you spare onboard fan headers and connect it to the sensor pin (middle one I think)
                  What spare fan header? I have 4 fans running in this case and two are using the MB headers. That's why I used the one open HDD cable my P/S could provide.

Mavericc

Just the difference between what the BBz know and what you doh't I guess

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 July 2002, 11:11.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Who says there's going to be "no overclocking"? and "moderate" gaming?
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Someone who doesn't know of what they speak I guess

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hey Doc, I think the "Pool" is in need of another chlorine shock treatment.

Paul
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Guys, he's replying to Chucky Cheese in that he's not doing any overclocking and at most moderate gaming...

Comment

Ok then Steve......

But because of the way people are acting at work today if we put a bit of chlorine in today the rest of my week might get easier.

Paul
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I never thought of using a hair dryer before.... EYE LUV Forumz ... Anyway I guess I'll have to wait until next year before I get a arhelia..... just about when I get a Opteron or is that Athlon 64 or Athlon XP Pro or what ever they want to call it by then.... So when that comes around I bet that the P will have the speeds up and sinks everywhere (I only wish.... but it is a good hint on how to keep things running cool and even keeping AGP Standards intact.... GPU/RAM Sinks a la GF4).... If anyone is ever in Ottawa Canada don't ever buy from Tolga Computers..... THEY TOTALY SUCK.... three bad cards (all have died about six months after being installed..... and I install my crystal orb the day I get it so don't try to give me any of that did you break it yourself crap because if I would have broken it, it would have show right away not 8 months later..... Had a Suma GF2 64MB (didn't work right away, never even got the orb on there... I do like mentioned above, check that it works before I do anything) then a second Suma same thing (worked for about 7 months), and now a MSI GF3 Ti200 (worked for about 8 months)..... BTW once I installed the Vidcard I never touched it since..... the video just doesn't come up, the system posts normaly but no video. Since I needed a vid card right away and I had very little money I had to go for the Deal and since GF4 Ti4200's are almost impossible to get a hold of in less than a week (no stores in Ottawa can keep them for more than about 3 day, even if the stock up 20 cards, they all get sold within 3 days... that and back orders) so I decided to get a 8500 retail 128MB (275/275 with crystal orb and artic silver 3, just need to put ram sinks).
                              Last edited by {PainCresT}DAn; 8 July 2002, 12:53.
                              What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

POST but no video? There's a good chance the video BIOS is corrupted.
                                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                                X