No announcement yet.

Modded my Parhelia.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI I removed my Parhelia mod today. They run hot, like 50c under load.

I have yet to see an MTSTU for Parhelia.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
      ... I have yet to see an MTSTU for Parhelia.
      Oh well ... I guess I was hoping for too much. I hope Ashley can get something out quickly for the HT folks.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Funny Ashley hasn't contacted me about any of this. I am a PS beta tester also.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Greebe ... if you read that AVS thread you would have noticed that Ashley said he hasn't heard anything from Matrox yet and he was looking forward to the P version of MTSTU as well.
          Last edited by xortam; 9 July 2002, 00:36.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

wow dr mordrid looks nice... i bet it keeps the ram sinks and the chip nice and cool. i would think with the increased cooling you could even up the GPU core voltage a little if you wanted huh, but maybe that would be taking it too far
            -Chris K.

Comment

I would have water-cooled it.
              What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Too late, already I did! I had one of those lying around (ok ok, it was on the GeForce 4, but I bought it with Parhelia in mind). Pretty expensive, but REALLY gets the job done. The heatsink I did for my Parhelia is now on my G4… Now if I could get my hands on a smaller fluid-carbon setup, my Parhelia would be ripping though anything that would be thrown at it (including my wallet )

I haven’t tried the .scr renaming, but it should work, as the file still has access to all the necessary files. But If somebody’s got some place to post it, I’ll gladly make an executable for you guys that continuously plays the reef demo (just press ctrl-c to quit)
                Last edited by frankymail; 9 July 2002, 12:29.
                What was necessary was done yesterday;
                We're currently working on the impossible;
                For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                (Server)
                - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Hi there,
                  Originally posted by Wombat
                  Sorry, but you are wrong.
                  RAM, like any other CMOS technology, is adversely effected by heat, and cooling it may very well help it perform at higher clock speeds.
                  Well, yes--but as has been mentioned before in this thread, why on earth would you want to o/clock the RAM on Parhelia? The fillrate is the limiting factor, not bandwidth (256bit interface, anybody? >10GB/s bandwidth?).

Overclocking RAM speeds won't help you in those situations the Parhelia is "too slow." Overclocking the core is the way to go to get rid of the "bottleneck."

ta,
                  .rb

P.S. please, everybody, mark my using quotes in above posting. I don't think that the Parhelia is too slow in the least . . . .rb
                  Visit www.3dcenter.de

www.nggalai.com — it's not so much bad as it is an experience.

Comment

He wasn't talking about P, just RAM in general. Besides, until you actually start playing with a Parhelia, how do you know the limiting factors?
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmm... i was under the impression that most CMOS technologies saw the biggest performance differences between temperatures on an interval closest to absolute 0, with the difference in temperature something like ramsinks would make (and keeping in mind the temps the chips would run at before and after) causing a negligable difference in the ability of the device...

but, then again, i'm no EE, so i really have no idea...
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Biggest difference? Well, it's important. But everyday temperatures have their share of the curve too, or people would be able to overclock without thinking about their cooling. Why do you think some people have stable computers "at 45C but not at 50C," et cetera?
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Dr Mordrid , Greebe and other parhelia owners:

did you see what revision the chip was , when you removed the headsink
                          Last edited by CaineTanathos; 10 July 2002, 03:07.
                          Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

The same as what everyone else has

Comment

anyone else
                              Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

I have a question...does the P have any thermial protection on it at all? It would really suck to have your custom mounted heatsink/fan pop off and have your P do a Athlon burn up impression...or does it get that hot?
                                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                                X