No announcement yet.

Modded my Parhelia.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will lock up when overheated. It won't spontaneously combust like an AMD product.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
      POST but no video? There's a good chance the video BIOS is corrupted.
      Well I could agree but what would happen is if I rebooted the machine multiple times it will eventualy come up and work fine unless I try to do things like 3dmark, anyway I never touched the BIOS on this thing(i mean I never flashed once). Anyway being that 3 cards that come from the same store (which got it from the same supplier) have all the same problems.... we even bought some GF2 MX's for where I work and one of them did the same thing as well. So I would say its the source of the card that's the problmes and not the card itself.
      What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

ALBPM,

Oh thank god :P
        because I read in a review their card went up in smoke after 24 hours, because the fan didn't work
        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

they say the fan wasn't spinning, but that doesn't mean a dead fan... maybe some damaged (power regulation) circuitry...

Comment

Originally posted by {PainCresT}DAn

Well I could agree but what would happen is if I rebooted the machine multiple times it will eventualy come up and work fine unless I try to do things like 3dmark, anyway I never touched the BIOS on this thing(i mean I never flashed once). Anyway being that 3 cards that come from the same store (which got it from the same supplier) have all the same problems.... we even bought some GF2 MX's for where I work and one of them did the same thing as well. So I would say its the source of the card that's the problmes and not the card itself.
            or, it could be something else in the system like a bad power supply or bad motherboard. or just one intolerant of certain types of devices.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
              I have a question...does the P have any thermial protection on it at all? It would really suck to have your custom mounted heatsink/fan pop off and have your P do a Athlon burn up impression...or does it get that hot?
              Haig said there is a temperature sensor build in (or was it a seperate chip?).
              Now we only need the specs how to read the data, and we can build a nice monitoring software for the Parhelia.
              cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
              ---
              Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
              JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
              Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

If that's the case, then I wonder if the thing could change it's own clock speed depending on temp.
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho
                  they say the fan wasn't spinning, but that doesn't mean a dead fan... maybe some damaged (power regulation) circuitry...
                  Yeah faulty wiring or something, but the thing is their parhelia went up in smoke
                  Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

There is no temp monitoring on the card.
                    magog is mistaken. Haig never said there was a temp sensor built on the chip or card.
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by CaineTanathos
                      Yeah faulty wiring or something, but the thing is their parhelia went up in smoke
                      This would be a bit upsetting but luckily Matrox is very good about covering their product warranties. It would be nice to see some thermal management on the P via alerts, slowdown, and/or shutdown since this board apparently runs fairly hot. Does anybody know if there's any such protection currently? Time to check on Haig's posts ...

P.S. Oops ... moved my post on you Kruzin.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Haig said that it is possible to get the fan speed from the fan's speed sensor. There was no mention of a temperature sensor.
                        I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Sure...by pluggin the fan into a mobo fan header. It is a 3-wire speed sensing fan, but the card itself has nothing on it to read that speed.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Haig quoted from the matrox tech forums

Is the RPM line off the fan terminated to no connection or is there a hw monitor on board to facilitate the monitoring ? (if theres a chip but used or non used doesnt matter at this point)

You can monitor the temp if you make the app for it. Don't know where you would be able to get the specs though.

Comment

Wonder if one of these would work on a Parhelia

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm50-hp.htm
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't recommend those unit to get good -performance- cooling... The total heatsink surcafe is just too small... Anyway, with this unit you do loose a PCI slot, and another if you use a fan next to it... so why don't you just go for a nice custom heatsink-fan combo that will settle you for $5-15 ???

If I was broke, that's what I'd do... but if you can afford a Parhelia, i presume you're not that broke
                                What was necessary was done yesterday;
                                We're currently working on the impossible;
                                For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                                - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                                - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                                - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                                - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                                - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                                (Server)
                                - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                                - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                                - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                                - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Working...
                                X